Is my heater completely submersible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my first aquarium heater. It has a water line on it. Should I keep water above or below this line. Thanks. BTW Its a Neptune 200W in case ur interested.

From what I can tell from the manufacturing description of that particular heater, it seems to be. Did you inherit the heater from someone and not get the box?

I would just check the manufacting code for the specific model to be sure before submerging it. :)

From what I can tell from the manufacturing description of that particular heater, it seems to be. Did you inherit the heater from someone and not get the box?

I would just check the manufacting code for the specific model to be sure before submerging it. :)

I got it from craigslist. The code is ETV 200.

It's submersible, but keep an eye on it. I had a Neptune malfunction and fry some of my favorite fish once.

The fixture will only accept the bulb its designed for. Except in rare cases, the ballast for the bulb type you have will not fire a bulb in another category.

You can always try, but for instance my 56 planted community has a 175w metal halide fixture. And will only fire a 175w mogul base metal halide. Though I have seen lower wattage medium base fixtures that will fire from a mercury vapor ballast. Sometimes it will work but I wouldnt count on it. The bulb could start to fire and then just wonk out or flicker continuously. In my opinion its always better to use what it was designed for so you never have to worry about fire danger or wasting money. I know fire is a little of a stretch but trying to force electrical components to do things they shouldnt is a bad idea. Plus just a run-of-the-mill aquarium hood light is not but 30 dollars with the bulb anyway. Ive even seen some small t5s that are under 100 dollars. Also, the ballast for a new light can be bought and alot of them are just plug ins like turn signal flashers for a car.

You can always try, but for instance my 56 planted community has a 175w metal halide fixture. And will only fire a 175w mogul base metal halide. Though I have seen lower wattage medium base fixtures that will fire from a mercury vapor ballast. Sometimes it will work but I wouldnt count on it. The bulb could start to fire and then just wonk out or flicker continuously. In my opinion its always better to use what it was designed for so you never have to worry about fire danger or wasting money. I know fire is a little of a stretch but trying to force electrical components to do things they shouldnt is a bad idea. Plus just a run-of-the-mill aquarium hood light is not but 30 dollars with the bulb anyway. Ive even seen some small t5s that are under 100 dollars. Also, the ballast for a new light can be bought and alot of them are just plug ins like turn signal flashers for a car.

I searched for single-strip lights on google and it looks a lot like the perfecto brand which is available at petsmart which is where the lady i got it from use to work. If so it accepts all bulbs.

I searched for single-strip lights on google and it looks a lot like the perfecto brand which is available at petsmart which is where the lady i got it from use to work. If so it accepts all bulbs.

Additionally it came with an eclipse natural daylight F40T10 which is made by marineland as is perfecto lights and she said the lights came with the fixture. I'll mainly b doin artificial plants except 4 sum java ferns and/or Anubias.

Back
Top Bottom