is my little Zebra Danio sick or playing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missking

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 7 zebra Danios, who were all little miracle babies. We had our danios in one tank and the one was pregnant alot but we heard that it happens and they will eat the eggs so if we ever want babies we would have to put the pregnant one in the breeder with a male to push the eggs out. So we didn't worry, we didn't want babies so we let them eat the eggs. Well we moved the Danios one day and never even thought about the possibility of eggs being in the tank still. We kept the water in the tank but took the filter out with the fish. I don't know how long it was but quite a while later, we had a friend over. And he asked 'what do you have in that tank over there?' We said nothing, just water, its kind of an emergency tank i guess, in case a fish gets sick or something'. He said 'so what's swimming around in there?' We shot up and went to check it out and we had little babies swimming around in there! We moved them over as soon as we could and at first we couldn't quite tell what they were but as time passed we realized we had 8 little baby Danios.

That is the story of how we got these little guys, i figured it would help determine if my little guy is ok or not. Because with its history, something could be wrong I'm sure. Now they have grown quite a bit, I'm not sure how old they are, but my boyfriend would be able to give me an estimate when he gets off work.

we recently noticed this little Danio stays in the same area of the tank and he swims back and fourth, doing a barrel roll or something. Sometimes it looks like he's playing but I've seen him facing up and down and it looks like he can't swim properly. He does it all day, just swims in his spot and rolls. its weird and i hope he's ok. If anyone has anything to say about it please help me out, thanks!

Awe i can't post videos to this site... Ugh. I had a video ready and everything. Maybe i can at least get a picture of him.

ForumRunner_20130525_095041.jpg

ForumRunner_20130525_095535.jpg

ForumRunner_20130525_095603.jpg

Ok so i really hate taking pictures of Danios lol a picture won't help much. If anyone knows a way for me to show a video please let me know. And i took a picture of the whole tank as well. We have 7 Danios and one little gourami. I really wish i could show a video!!!

I had 10 of those little guys at the beginning of my tank, and due to inexperience, I only have 1 very hardy Danio now.

While I can't offer a solution to the problem, I will say that's the behavior mine showed right before dying.

Ok, I'm going to test the water parameters because maybe he is getting nitrate poisoning. Or nitrite.. Which ever is the bad one. Lol my boyfriend is the smart one when it comes to the fish but he works alot so I'm trying to help the best i can. We did amazing with our first set of Danios, but this second set was unexpected and they lived in a tank with no filter or anything and we weren't feeding them because we didn't even know they existed. They could have very easily been injured as eggs or even as babies. And another one of our little miracle Danios is a tiny little guy, i started calling him Nemo because he was gimpy and couldn't swim well. He also grows really slow. He has survived and is doing great. We only had one die out of all the fish we got our of that first tank. And I'm sure it was because we were late on our water change. I'm going to test the water, maybe that's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom