Is my Molly pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaykay2424

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my dalmatian molly for maybe 6 months. I got it from my local Meijer (I know, not the best choice) along with four tetras and a gold fish. I still have all of them and have added some other fish along the way. I bought a small black molly and a gold molly 2-3 months ago but the black one died shortly after. I recently got more fish from Petco about 1-2 weeks ago, most of them mollies. In total I now have 6 tetras, 3 fan tailed goldfish, 7 mollies and a little zebra looking fish that's maybe, 1/2" long. I have NO IDEA if I was given males or females.
My dalmatian molly is very fat. I feel like it's always been kind of big, but it's gotten very bulky. It's not shy, it doesn't hide and it eats A LOT. It has been a little aggressive, it'll pick at the other fish and occasionally charge at them. My gold molly looks fat too, and I initially thought that one was pregnant because it's been hiding behind the filter and just kind of floating around and keeping to itself, but I think it might be a male.... ???
Idk the exact size of my tank, but I keep the water around 76 degrees, it's filtered and I keep the water fresh. Idk the ph or hardness or any of that stuff. All of my fish seem happy and healthy (except for the gold molly) I feed them twice a day and they all seem to get along.
What do I do if she's pregnant???

Attachments

• 12773252_1291082330918964_1837408498_o.jpg
    12773252_1291082330918964_1837408498_o.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 12082024_1291082300918967_804834261_o.jpg
    12082024_1291082300918967_804834261_o.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 60
  • 12842439_1291082314252299_260511337_o.jpg
    12842439_1291082314252299_260511337_o.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 56
  • 12842501_1291082340918963_261353489_o.jpg
    12842501_1291082340918963_261353489_o.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 71
Check the anal fin. If it's fanned out its a female if it pointed and tucked it's more than likely a male. The pics look like they're either pregnant or balloon mollies.

Keep calm and rock on

I'm positive the dalmatian is a female, but it's hard to tell with the gold one because it has been keeping it's fins tucked in. They weren't specified as balloon mollies when I purchased them, but they may have been mislabeled. My gold one has been spending a lot of time just floating around and resting on the bottom and is eating very little. Hope it's not sick.
Other than the massive belly, are there any other ways to distinguish a balloon molly from a regular molly?

Thank You!

There are no differences that I'm aware of. If you look at the fin of the gold one there may be a white tip if it's male. Not sure if that's true for all mollies but all mine are like that

Keep calm and rock on

I don't see any white on it, but it's hard to tell now because its always hiding either behind the filter or on the bottom behind plants and it keeps it's fins tight to its body. Hopefully he/she will make it. I'm mostly worried because as of this morning it has had no interest in food. My dalmatian molly devours her food, she swims straight to the top of the tank when I open the hood to feed them lol. I've read what signs to look for during pregnancy and they seem to match, but I'm not sure when to expect it if they are pregnant.

I'm worried because my kids are getting really excited about the fact that our fish might be pregnant. They're expecting little baby fish to be swimming around any day and if they are pregnant, I want to keep the babies alive so my kids don't one day see little fish swimming around, then the next day they've been eaten lol

If you have plants similar to hornwort it increases the chance if fry survival. Get a breeder net for the one that won't eat and put her in it. Her fry will most likely get eaten but it'll insure she gets food and survives. They're $5 at Walmart I believe and I think most lfs have them

Keep calm and rock on

Thank you! I will definitely pick one up today. A couple of my fake plants look very similar to hornwort, but I'm not sure if using fake plants would serve the same purpose. How long should I keep the gold one in the breeder net if she doesn't produce right away?

I would say until she starts eating regularly and swimming like normal. More than likely if she drops fry when she's in the net she'll eat them. And she may drop drop soon after you put her in due to stress. The other one you'll need to watch and when she drops try to get as many out into a qt to help them survive. If you don't have a qt if get two nets and feed finely crushed flakes

Keep calm and rock on

Thank you so much. I have posted this question on other sites and I haven't gotten any straight answers lol so this is perfect. I will put her in the breeder net as soon as I can and keep an eye on her.

Thanks again!

Glad to help what other fish so you have in your tank? Depending on the fish I would recommend adding a little salt to help the immune system if it's something else wrong but some fish can't handle salt so be careful if you want to go that rout. If you can't use salt I'd recommend adding some stress coat to the water.

Keep calm and rock on

Once she gives birth, keep the fry in the net and put her back in the main tank. That way the fry won't be eaten by other fish until they are big enough to release them. (About 4-6 weeks of age). Get the breeder net that is light blue (it's the one I have). I've used it many times and it's a real life saver (literally!) I've had it for years, and it was only about $6. It's finally showing signs of age and I'll have to get another one. They're great though.

I got the recommended breeder net yesterday and plan on putting her in there today while I'm home. She's in the exact same spot she was yesterday and did not eat this morning. Hopefully something good will happen today!

I just have fan tailed goldfish, tetras and mollies. In total I think I have about 8 fish.

Back
Top Bottom