Is my new tank cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.w.deegan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started a new 20 gal tank with a fish in cycle 1 black sailfin Molly I seeded ot woth media from one of my established tanks its been running about 4 weeks now just got a api master test kit and ammonia nitrate and nitrite are all 0 if I'm reading this correctly first time using this test kit before that I used the tetra strips and the last few testes my ammonia was 0.50 the api test is saying it's at 0 now would this mean my tank is cycled? I'm newer at fish keeping been at it about 6 months I messed up in my 40 gal and stocked it too fast and lost a bunch of fish in the process I don't want to make that same mistake again local water is hard and high ph also any advice on lowering the ph of my water its that high in my other tank as well but the fish seem happy and healthy 20210712_170034.jpg20210712_170026.jpg

If you are consistently seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite on your tests then you are cycled for the bioload you currently have. Increasing the bioload is the next step. Your cycle will need to catch up to increased bioload and you may see ammonia and/or nitrite spikes that will need water changes to manage your water parameters in a similar manner to what you have been doing so far to get to where you are now. Increase bioload a little, when you are again seeing no ammonia and nitrite in your tests increase a little more. Rinse and repeat until you are at the stock level you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom