Is my pump too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benharrison1uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey people, my mate brought me a little 12 litre starter kit today for coldwater fish. We brought a pump separately, which is suitable for aquariums up to 20 litres in volume. We brought some fish and have the pump switched on, but it looks to me like they are constantly swimming against the current. The power setting is turned right down and I was just wondering am I being too paranoid or do I need to buy a weaker pump? Also, if it is too powerful, would it be harmful to the fish to leave the pump on for a few hours a day then switch it off again? Any advice given will be appreciated. :)

What kind of fish do you have? What brand of pump is it? Have you heard about cycling of fish in a tank? Welcome to AA btw! :wave: It is possible depending on the fish that the current is too strong, but knowing the brand of filter and the type of fish you have will help. Also you should consider getting a test kit for your tank, as adding fish without cycling the tank will require more water changes to keep your fish alive.

I have never heard of cycling fish in a tank before, no. The pump is an elite mini. The fish in my tank are 2 goldfish, a shebumpkin and a comet.

12 litres is about equal to 3 gallons? Your goldfish will quickly out grow your tank. It is recommended that you give about 10 gallons (about 38 litres) per goldfish because they produce a lot of waste.

Fish poop and rotting food produce ammonia (toxic to fish). Nitrifying bacteria in your filter and gravel convert this ammonia into nitrite (less toxic than ammonia but still toxic) then it gets converted into nitrate (only toxic in high ammounts). This nitrate is then removed from your aquarium by doing water changes (so the nitrate doesn't build up). This is the nitrogen cycle.

Cycling refers to the process in which you build up these colonies of nitrifying bacteria.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21 here's a more in depth article about the nitrogen cycle.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php there's an article on fishless cycle

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ciclo.php here's another article on the nitrogen cycle

You can also use a product made by Marineland, Bio-spira, which instantly cycles your tank by adding the bacteria directly into your tank. This is the only product that actually "works". Products such as cycle and other things that claim to "speed up the process" don't work.

I've personally used Bio-spira and say that it works great. Although pricey, IMO, its well worth it. I bought a 1oz pouch, enough for a 30g (I have a 20g), and added it to the tank and filter. A couple minutes after, I added all my fish and haven't seen an ammonia spike or nitrite spike.

HTH. :D and good luck with your tank.

Thanks for your help people, the information on the nitrifying bacteria was very helpful. I am going to be paid tomorrow, I may buy a 58 litre tank (about 20 gallons, comes with everything except fish). Do you think this will be big enough for my fish? Or should i give them away to the pet shop and go tropical instead? The tank comes with a heater so its quite capable of supporting tropical or coldwater. Also, if i do keep my coldwater fish, I would like a bottom feeder. Any suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom