Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is my tank almost done cycling?

Okay, I've started to cycle my tank on december 30. Today as I write this, it's january 10th. I've read the thread (a few times) on fishless cycling for dummies. Awesome thread. I know it usually takes 4-6 weeks. BUT, my fluval was used (came with the tank), so I had some media still in it with some good bacteria. The ceramic rings. I had to throw away the sponges though, because they were just falling apart VERY badly (just looked like goo). But I still at least had the rings though in the filter (although I did let 6 hours go by before setting everything up after getting it).

My readings today are this:

PH: 7.2
Ammmonia: 0
Nitrites: 1 (or possibly a 5? I hate this test, so hard to tell from the two)
Nitrates: 10

My Nitrites, have stayed the same color every time I have tested, starting with my first test on december 31 (day after I set up tank). My ammonia, did spike very high, to a 7 or 8, but droped very fast. Just a couple days. My Nitrates, stayed at 80 the whole time until january 8, which they were 10, and are still 10 today. My ammonia's been dropping to zero every day now, also since the 8th. so today is the third day in a row, that my ammonia dropped to zero. I've been adding a little ammonia each day, and then retesting to make sure I have a reading higher than zero on it, to keep the bacteria going. It feels like I'm close to my cycle ending. So all I gotta wait for is my nitrites to drop to zero, and then I am done? btw, I've been feeding my tank (50 gal) 5ml's of ammonia each day to keep it going.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

Well, it's probably not done yet, but if you wanted to introduce a small school they would probably survive. Put a couple of zebras or white clouds in and see what happens.

FYI, I've found the gold ring danios to be tuff little bastards. I've used the same two little fish to cycle a 10 gallon and 2.5 gallong aquarium now. One looks a little battle torn, but that's from his adventure through the filter on the 10 gallon. That said, he's healed up nicely.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks for the advice polyhead
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your nitrites are low, but not going away, try a big PWC and retest the next day.

Tags
cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com