Is my tank nearly done cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I have a 120l tank I am setting up, and I put water in it about 2 weeks ago. Immediately got a jump to 8ppm ammonia (aqua soil is to blame supposedly).

I kept testing the water and had no changes in the water, so about a week ago I bought some quick start that adds in stuff for the bacteria apparently, and after a day the ammonia dropped to 4ppm ammonia and my nitrates soared, and i had a small reading of nitrites (under .25ppm).

Today I took a look and I am at about 0.5 ppm ammonia, and my nitrate has come down to 50ish ppm, and I am in the clear for nitrite. Am I supposed to get a nitrite spike? A larger one atleast?

In past I was younger, a little less patient (i wont lie, I still am a little impatient) and I never really studied the cycling process.. just kinda threw my water and quick start in and off I went.

I am just wondering if my tank is heading towards suitable (bear in mind it was a fishless cycle with no established substrate from another tank)..

Any input would be appreciated!

Generally, we consider a tank fully ctcles when it processes at least 2ppm of ammonia into nitratesbwith no detectable nitrites withon a 24 hour time period. I would give it another day and then see where youre at.

You may well not see a nitrite spike.
I know of many with this experience.
The bacteria(in the bottle) may be to explain and appears to be working well for you.
+1 with Mebbid.
when you are 0 ammonia dose to 2 ppm and start the clock.
24 hours later
Those are the numbers we want to know!

Oh, neat.

The ammonia dropped from 4 to .5 over 2 days, so I must be close.

I should be waiting until my nitrates go to 0 before I consider beginning my stocking right?

Back
Top Bottom