Is My Tank Overstocked ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently I have a 30 gal aquascaped tank, however I'm in fear that it may be over stocked :confused: .
My current inhabitants are as listed:
1 albino bristle nose pleco
2 corydoras sterbai
1 SAE
3 amano shrimp
3 ghost shrimp
3 albino kribensis
6 cardinal tetras
2 male bettas
:thanks:
:fish2:

Yes, but if you do GREAT maintenance then you will be OK!

Yes, you are overstocked but keep checking your ammonia and nitrates weekly and you will know for sure if you can keep going or will need to remove some. The pleco grows really big and mine is now over 9 inches after 2 years so a 30 gallon may be a little small for it in a few years. If you have a really good filter you should be ok.

Rep

I have had this tank going for 15 years but the kribs and cardinals are new and I have a 75 gal canister filter
Ammonia 0

What could I do to help reduce my stock level

The plec isn't permanent as soon as he gets big I trade them in for a smaller one

I don't think your really overstocked but you full up for sure. Only the SAE, which will get big, and the BNP have high bio-loads. How large is the SAE now? Also what is you sex ratio on the Kribs? I never had much luck with keeping multiple Kribs in smaller tanks, usually just a pair. But they can get pretty aggressive when they decided to spawn. You'll just have to watch them.

Did no one else notice they said two MALE BETTAS? one needs to be moved like now. They will kill eachother

One of the male bettas should be removed for sure as they will soon fight to the death if they haven't already but other than that just watch the krib aggression and keep up on your water changes and you should be fine.

Well guys Betta are quite funny little guys in the fact that they can sometimes co-exist peacefully in a planted tank.

I am currently up to 4 male Betta's in my 220g. When they meet usually one will flare and then go about their way. There isn't war, no fighting, no torn fins. It completely depends on the temperament of each individual Betta. I've had mine in for 6 months at least now. I would be a little more cautious in a smaller tank and I do watch for any fighting but it CAN work. Why not ask the OP how long they have been together in the tank, how heavily planted, and what the temperament of the Betta's are. I'm not taking any sides here but just like keeping multiple male gourami's together... it may or may not work depending on their individual temperament. Also remember what works in one persons tank may not work in another's.

My sae is aprox 2"
And I have two female kribs and one male all are four months old
My male betas don't fight an occasional flaring session but no torn fins or other damage

The SAE is still small so until it gets some size and possibly aggressive as many adults do it's okay. Do watch the the kribs tho. When the male decides to spawn with a female the other female could get picked on a lot and other fish in the tank can also become targets. It just depends on the pair.

Guess another theory is shot down. Here are two people keeping multiple bettas in one tank. Funny how some statements become gospel.
As stated by Rivercats, it absolutely depends on the temperament of the fish, and the size of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom