Is my tank overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey iwas wondering how my stock was in my 6 foot 180 gallon-
2 Jaguars
1 oscars
1 peacock bass
3 convicts
1 green terror
1 bristle nose
So far it's all good apart from the newest member green terror get bashed by everything and taking it out on the peacock so I'm thinking of taking him out soon and the convicts and jags are breeding and wondering if the bristle nose would eat the eggs thanks

I would say over stocked
approx max sizes
2 jags 14 to 16"
Oscar 14"
peacock bass 30"
never mind the others.
Though I cant really come up with the best combo here. I think if you get rid of the peacock you may have a chance with the rest. I would just have a divider ready or another large tank.

I 2nd Mattfinn. AqAdvisor is what i used to stock my 55 community

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed with mikem. Imo, peacock bass are too big for that tank.

Oh, and, aqadvisor isn't that accurate. I'd ask on forums, not look at there.

Aqadvisor is perfectly fine to use for good guidelines.

I agree about the Peacock Bass. A 6' tank isn't really that good of a choice for a 2' fish.

It's a decent guideline, but it's still not accurate. I'd always ask at a forum whether what it says is right or not.

I don't know if Inaccurate is the correct word to use. If anything, I would say it's conservative for Aquarium Advice.

The strange thing among aquarium forums is that there is absolutely no consensus between them. If you go from here to another forum they will often have different ideas on proper stocking limits. It doesn't make either of us inherently right or wrong, but that there is no set rule. To say that AQadvisor is "wrong" because it doesn't fit our particular idea of proper stocking limits is a bit misleading.

In short, I've never seen a problem with staying below 100% stocking from aqadvisor, but I have seen major problems seeing (and experiencing) stocking a tank over 100%.

Agreed with mikem. Imo, peacock bass are too big for that tank.

Oh, and, aqadvisor isn't that accurate. I'd ask on forums, not look at there.

I suggested aqadvisor as no one had replied yet and these fish aren't my expertise so aqadvisor being reasonably alright with this stuff I suggest it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know if Inaccurate is the correct word to use. If anything, I would say it's conservative for Aquarium Advice.

The strange thing among aquarium forums is that there is absolutely no consensus between them. If you go from here to another forum they will often have different ideas on proper stocking limits. It doesn't make either of us inherently right or wrong, but that there is no set rule. To say that AQadvisor is "wrong" because it doesn't fit our particular idea of proper stocking limits is a bit misleading.

In short, I've never seen a problem with staying below 100% stocking from aqadvisor, but I have seen major problems seeing (and experiencing) stocking a tank over 100%.

Agree with this. Some of my tanks go over 100% on the advisor but I'm not loaded with oscars or jags either... I feel like it is a reasonable tool that can be used by beginners till they get a grip on stocking.

Caleb

This is a bit old, but read this: AqAdvisor - 66006
I'd rather rely on people's experience on forums than some machine.

It's sounding to me like you believe that when people are recommending Aqadvisor they are saying it's the end all be all of stocking rules.

Take a look at this excerpt directly from the home page of AqAdvisor
AqAdvisor said:
Your favorite aquarium forums won't necessarily endorse or agree with the recommendations reported by AqAdvisor.com. Use AqAdvisor.com to get general stocking recommendations but do your own research BEFORE buying any species. We highly recomend that new tropical fish keepers understock (less than 100%) their aquarium tanks.

As to your statement of not wanting to rely on a machine.. This isn't a random collection of information assembled by a website. It's a relatively well researched site using the exact same information we ourselves have.

I've also long argued that the other features are rather useless.. Such as the water change calculator and filtration estimator.

It's sounding to me like you believe that when people are recommending Aqadvisor they are saying it's the end all be all of stocking rules.

Take a look at this excerpt directly from the home page of AqAdvisor

As to your statement of not wanting to rely on a machine.. This isn't a random collection of information assembled by a website. It's a relatively well researched site using the exact same information we ourselves have.

I've also long argued that the other features are rather useless.. Such as the water change calculator and filtration estimator.

You are right, it is. But I still stand by what I say. Imo, experienced forum members are far better than a basically impossible task of calculating bioload and listing every fish in existence and whether each one would work with each other or not. It's simply impossible.

You are right, it is. But I still stand by what I say. Imo, experienced forum members are far better than a basically impossible task of calculating bioload and listing every fish in existence and whether each one would work with each other or not. It's simply impossible.

The one and only problem I see with that is that how does a person know that someone on the other side of the keyboard is an experienced aquarist. Without spending a fair amount of time getting to know people it's nearly impossible to know. The only judgement we have at a glance is post count and for all anyone newish on this forum knows I could be a fool spouting senseless drivel all over the website. Heck, that's probably what a lot number of people here think of me anyways :whistle:

But you're right, it is entirely impossible to figure things for all the fish we can keep.

The one and only problem I see with that is that how does a person know that someone on the other side of the keyboard is an experienced aquarist. Without spending a fair amount of time getting to know people it's nearly impossible to know. The only judgement we have at a glance is post count and for all anyone newish on this forum knows I could be a fool spouting senseless drivel all over the website. Heck, that's probably what a lot number of people here think of me anyways :whistle:

But you're right, it is entirely impossible to figure things for all the fish we can keep.

You're right there. ;)
Yeah, post count doesn't really mean much of anything. I have a slightly higher post count than you on another forum, and that doesn't have any affect (I hope) on what my experience level is.

I tried aqua advisor and didn't like it.

I go by a few things now

Live aquaria to tell me the temperment, max size, needed tank size for a fish and
if my test levels get screwed.

I know my tank comes off as over stocked but since its so heavily planted and I oversized my filter I gets zero levels all the time. Plus I now do roughtly a 40% PWC a week and use seachem prime, and easy balance with every water change (dont know if the easy balance really helps but it makes me feel good).

I have a MASSIVE MTS infestation right now and I cant even vac them out fast enough so Im breaking down and trying a yoyo loach (my buddy had great luck with his).

Im eventually moving everything to my 55 Im setting up (whenever I finish that) but all in all I think all the fish will be fine in my 30

Ive started to tend to look more on the space a fish needs more than anything else.

Heck my puffer's 5gallon is technically OS (2 dwarf puffs, 2 BB gobies and a gupppy) but again I get zero levels with every check and that tank has a crappy sponge filter I intended on swapping but never did.

I tried aqua advisor and didn't like it.

I go by a few things now

Live aquaria to tell me the temperment, max size, needed tank size for a fish and
if my test levels get screwed.

I know my tank comes off as over stocked but since its so heavily planted and I oversized my filter I gets zero levels all the time. Plus I now do roughtly a 40% PWC a week and use seachem prime, and easy balance with every water change (dont know if the easy balance really helps but it makes me feel good).

I have a MASSIVE MTS infestation right now and I cant even vac them out fast enough so Im breaking down and trying a yoyo loach (my buddy had great luck with his).

Im eventually moving everything to my 55 Im setting up (whenever I finish that) but all in all I think all the fish will be fine in my 30

Ive started to tend to look more on the space a fish needs more than anything else.

Heck my puffer's 5gallon is technically OS (2 dwarf puffs, 2 BB gobies and a gupppy) but again I get zero levels with every check and that tank has a crappy sponge filter I intended on swapping but never did.

Live aquaria is trying to sell you stuff, and much of their info is wrong, like min tank size and temp range. So is the max size stuff.

Seriously fish I have found to be great with records of max size of fish, and it's the most loaded with good info and stuff.

Live aquaria is trying to sell you stuff, and much of their info is wrong, like min tank size and temp range. So is the max size stuff.

Seriously fish I have found to be great with records of max size of fish, and it's the most loaded with good info and stuff.

During my research I've found live aquaria to be a bit off on some things (particularly it saying 30g for a dwarf puffer) but for the most part it has pretty good estimations they are close to Seriously Fish.

Caleb

To the original topic, yes I agree the tank is over stocked. Op, are you saying your testing 0 nitrates?
I think if you take out the peacock bass you can work it out. Maybe remove one fish past that even, the gt or bristlenose or Oscar. Just not having the peacock solves a lot of the issue. Good luck with the Oscar, mine were all evil.

Back
Top Bottom