Is Purigen a substitute for carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartyMA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have not had to change out any part of my filter yet. It is only been running for two months. However, I am getting confused about if or when the three components (foam, carbon and biomax) should be changed and if this Purigen stuff is something I should have instead of carbon. I understand that the foam can stay until it is falling apart. Carbon will loose it's effectiveness at some point I think and maybe this is where purigen might come in? Are carbon and purigen just detoxifiers? One more thing...does the biomax product do something other than allow for bb to grow? It would seem that all three components would allow bb to reside comfortably. As always, any imput is appreciated.

Sounds like you have an AquaClear filter. The foam needs to be rinsed in tank water, as does the biomax . You can dispense with the carbon as it isn't necessary and replace it with another sponge. The sponges will last for many years and the biomax probably forever. Carbon will be used up in a month or less. Purigen can be recharged when it is spent.
As with any filter, if you keep the filter clean of solids materials your nitrate numbers will be lower. This is because you are removing solids before they have a chance to be broken down.

Biomax is porous, so it allows bacteria to grow the most.
Carbon needs to be discarded after 1-3 months of use. It's a good place to grow bacteria, but its not good for the water if left there too long.
Sponge catch a lot of waste, so be sure to rinse it with aquarium water every week. It also has plenty of bacteria.

Use Carbon or Purigen if you have fish that produce a lot of waste (usually large fish). They remove dissolved organic waste (ie uneaten food). Usually a 50% weekly water change will help remove and control those levels of organic waste. The Carbon and Purigen help keep the water cleaner. There are still plenty of other waste that both do not absorb (ie dissolved inorganic waste). Purigen is specifically made to absorb organic waste and can be recharged. It will last a 2-4 years before needing to be discarded.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom