Is purigen worth the extra money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a 55g. It came with a Rena filstar Xp2. I'm trying to buy all the media to get my tank officially running. My filter was two baskets for the bottom I'm going to put 2 20ppi and 2 30ppi. Top basket; bio chem stars? Are they even essential? (I'm only 15 and money is tight) on top of the stars I was going to add either purigen or bio zorb? Is purigen worth the extra money? It is double what the bio zorb costs? On top of that I will be added a micro filtration pad.

I've wondered this myself as I've never tried purigen. Consider that if money is tight you can perform an extra water change per week. Water is more or less free for you while purigen is not.

Purigen is a "recharchable" media whereas biozorb is not. Over time it is more economical however, I use neither and do multiple WC's weekly.

I do WCs. Recharging seems like a pain. I think I'm just going to go with the bio zorb since it was built to fit my filter. Also is bio chem stars necessary or will my sponges just work for biological?

It's an aesthetic thing. Purigen will polish your water very very well. It's also fairly cheap and lasts forever. Recharging it once every 3 month's is well worth it.

Some have different views on this, but I've always run activated carbon in my tanks and the water is always crytal clear, you just have to replace every 4 weeks or so.

I have heard some great things about Purigen though; just have never tried it since I've had success with only using carbon.

Do you buy the pre-bagged purigen for $8. I think the bag is too small for my filter.

Some have different views on this, but I've always run activated carbon in my tanks and the water is always crytal clear, you just have to replace every 4 weeks or so.

I have heard some great things about Purigen though; just have never tried it since I've had success with only using carbon.

They will both do the same thing for water clarity. Try it out and you'll see.

Do you but the pre-bagged purigen for $8. I think the bag is too small for my filter.

I bought the medium sized container and a fine mesh filter bag from a brewing supply store. With some hot glue you can make whatever size bag you want. I got 10 bags out of the pack so I can just rotate them through my various tanks.

Okay great. I think I'm going to use bio zorb for the first couple of months and then I'll try purigen.

If you get purigen make sure you by "The Bag" buy seachem. Its made for purigen. Every other bag I've tried it falls through the holes.

If you get purigen make sure you by "The Bag" buy seachem. Its made for purigen. Every other bag I've tried it falls through the holes.

That's why I used the fine mesh brewing bags. It's the same mesh size as "the bag" and only cost me $2.50 for enough for 10 separate bags of purigen.

Yes. Absolutely.

And I need to try those mesh brewing bags. Apparently I paid way too much for my two Purigen brand bags...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes. Absolutely.

And I need to try those mesh brewing bags. Apparently I paid way too much for my two Purigen brand bags...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If there's one thing that seachem is amazing at its overcharging for ridiculously cheap things. Just look at de nitrate. All that is is pumice rubble.

I use a few inches of a nylon stocking and tie knots on the ends. Haven't had any problems. I also don't recharge mine. I just toss stocking & all. I don't want to take chances with the chlorine.

But regarding whether it's worth it or not--I can see a big difference in my water quality. Everything looks sharper to me.

In my opinion purigen is not worth it. I read so many good things about it so I went and bought some. It's true that it works amazingly- the first time. After "recharging" it, it's never the same. When I soak mine in bleach water to recharge it, it turns white, but then when I soak it in water with a high dose of prime it slowly turns back to a tan color. It's never the same after the first time it's dirty.

I run Purigen in my tank and love it. I only have recharge it every 2 months or so.

How do you go by recharging. It seems like like to much trouble and I have heard it never works as well.

Nope, not worth it in my opinion, just use the good old carbon :) only time I had ever had to use purigen was when my tetras got white spot and its well know not use medicines with carbon so switch to purigen until treatment was complete.

But purigen is just a expensive version of carbon, clears your water and nothing more, waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom