Is stress zyme a must for aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samantha1801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Getting back into tanks and I am about to set one up soon. A little rusty on my knowledge of chemicals. Is stress zyme a must buy? And should it be used regularly? I'm trying to decide what chemicals I should buy and what isn't necessary

Stresszyme is a product that contains bacteria that consumes mulm and detritus. The stuff that can build up in hoses and on your filter media. As far as im aware it isnt something that grows like the beneficial bacteria responsible for your cycle so you need to add it to your tank periodically. At least it says on the bottle you need to keep adding it. The detritus ordinarily would break down and produce ammonia, so the product says it will help your cycle because it reduces the ammonia produced by your aquarium.

Do you need it? No. The majority of people manage tanks just fine without stresszyme or similar (other brands are also available). A healthy tank with an established cycle and proper maintenance can manage just fine. In fact a lot of the beneficial bacteria responsible for your cycle lives in the mulm build up because its a ready supply of food.

Personally i think its an expense you dont need.

Stresszyme is a product that contains bacteria that consumes mulm and detritus. The stuff that can build up in hoses and on your filter media. As far as im aware it isnt something that grows like the beneficial bacteria responsible for your cycle so you need to add it to your tank periodically. At least it says on the bottle you need to keep adding it. The detritus ordinarily would break down and produce ammonia, so the product says it will help your cycle because it reduces the ammonia produced by your aquarium.

Do you need it? No. The majority of people manage tanks just fine without stresszyme or similar (other brands are also available). A healthy tank with an established cycle and proper maintenance can manage just fine. In fact a lot of the beneficial bacteria responsible for your cycle lives in the mulm build up because its a ready supply of food.

Personally i think its an expense you dont need.

I second this. IMO, way too many chemicals for you to drop cash into. So as he said with a good dechlorinator for your water changes and I think you're all set.

I use Prime also.

"Seachem Pristine"also contains a type of bacteria that is suppose to help break down fish and plant waste etc.
It is supposed to help prevent that sort of things from building up in you substrate , etc. and clarify water..

Stress zyme is supposed to build slime coat or something, but is a dechlorinator I believe. I use seachem prime as my dechlorinator. Not familiar with pristine.
No. You are confusing stresscoat with stresszyme. Stresscoat is a dechlorinator with an aloe vera additive. Stresszyme contains a bacteria or enzyme or something that consumes sludge.

Back
Top Bottom