is the Black Ghost Knife compatible with an Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wouldnt suggest the mix, but IMO its perhaps possible.

how big is the BGK to begin with? how big is the oscar?

i should note that oscars have a tendency to kill for sport, or just to be jerks to smaller fish. BGKs undulating fin is incredibly supceptable to tear, and most fish know it.

while BGKs do grow big, somewhat fast, oscars grow faster.

should you do this, and i dont condone it, the BGK should have plenty of hiding places, ones the oscar cant nearly fit anypart of themselves in.

reconsider, perhaps silver dollars instead?

arrowanas may fit as well (not sure if they need a bigger tank. full grown plecos, and larger gourami may be able to hold their own.

large fish i wouldnt recommend, african tiger fish and pacus,as both get too big for a 100g. i suppose a full grown BGK, (i believe hara as a 12" one) may be possible, but i dont know if i'd risk it.

if you really want to be adventurous, how about a freshwater stingray?

BGKs get big....I don't think I'd recommend one for a 100 gal tank. Maybe try looking at some dither fish like silver dollars. Clown loaches will work if you want bottom feeders.

Also, don't get a freshwater stingray or arowana. They get way too large.

Teacup stingrays still get big...not to mention hard to find. Remember, you should factor in the tail. The sizes you see on the internet are most likely the diameter of the disc and doesn't include the tail. The tail can be just as long or longer than the disc. I think teacups are about 20-24" from the nose to the tail.

it seems like everyone agrees on silver dollars.

I think I will go 1 oscar
and a school of 6-8 silver dollars.

:)

thanks everyone

I have a BGK and 5 silver dollars and they get along really well.
Make sure you have somewhere for the BGK to hide out.

Also most plants aren't compatible with Silver dollars.
I have them with anubius and they eat the new shoots but not enough to stop growth.

Good idea, Bubble Boy.

I never have understood why people love BGK so much. They hide during the day and get big. Not the most interesting fish to watch, but to each his own.

I think they're quite wicked looking. All flowy, dark and mysterious. Quite dashing, they are.

Blazeherd2306 said:
I never have understood why people love BGK so much. They hide during the day and get big.

what a good description blazeherd, lol "they hide and get big"
made me laugh

they have personality, and may become handtame. bigger BGKs dont mind hiding at all alot of times

jbarr said:
I think they're quite wicked looking. All flowy, dark and mysterious. Quite dashing, they are.

agreed

i pesonally think the BGK is one of the most spectacular fish any aquarists can own.

a fully grown specimen is a centerpiece fish in itself.

it moves backwards, sidways and hovers.
Very cool looking.

Haha, hc8719, I didn't know how to word that.

The ones I see in the fish store are always in pvc tube. They are nocturnal, so they should be given a tube or cave to hide in during the day.

Sorry, but nothing can beat the personality of large cichlids :p .

Back
Top Bottom