is the stocking a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatropicalfishguy78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i started this tank that had been cycled weeks ago and i was wondering if i stocked the tank correctly. i have a golden wonder killifish and two kuhli loaches. ive had these fish for a month now and everything seems pretty normal. the tank also has live plants and sand. im just worried that something doesnt seem right. Can anybody help?

The stocking is fine but you have to give an idea of "what" seems off? Can't help when nobody knows what the problem is.

i heard that GWK needs 20 gal and kuhli loaches need more of there own. i was wondering if i should get more loaches. also if i can get another type of animal that can clean my tank without my killifish eating it.

i heard that GWK needs 20 gal and kuhli loaches need more of there own. i was wondering if i should get more loaches. also if i can get another type of animal that can clean my tank without my killifish eating it.

A 20g is the preferred minimum size but if its still small your fine and can rehome it or get a larger tank when it starts getting big. They say they can get to 6 inches but personally I've never seen one over 4 inches. Kuhii loaches do best in groups of at least 6 but they are small enough that when the killi gets large they will most likely get eaten or try to be eaten. They only clean up crew you could do is some type of snail. Nerites are my snail of choice simply because they can't breed in freshwater so there is no chance of a population explosion. Choice for other large snails would be mystery or ramshorn snails but they will breed.

thanks can i keep one mystery snail without it reproducing?

Well you could get one but if you happen to get a female she could easily lay fertile egg since when they mate the females carry the sperm for a long time afterwards. You have a 50/50 chance of it being a male.

Back
Top Bottom