Is there a Better Nitrate Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sometimes I'd rather do an extra 50% water change halfway through the week rather than take a test with my API nitrAte test kit. Not only do you have to vigorously shake the bottle and the test vial, but you have to wait for a result that may not even help you determine what your actual levels are.

So, that's my question. Is there a better nitrate test kit out there that's affordable?

The API test is a great test. I've never had issues with it. Honestly I don't test very often (Maybe once a month if that), I do two 50% water changes a week and it keeps the Nitrates in check. If your Nitrates are getting that high each week you need to look for the cause of the issue.

Laser said:
Sometimes I'd rather do an extra 50% water change halfway through the week rather than take a test with my API nitrAte test kit. Not only do you have to vigorously shake the bottle and the test vial, but you have to wait for a result that may not even help you determine what your actual levels are.

So, that's my question. Is there a better nitrate test kit out there that's affordable?

I know Seachem has a nitrate test kit with no bottle shaking, but their test kits are expensive. Even if you find a kit online that's cheaper it's still not cheap considering it's just to test one parameter.
Do you have a nitrate problem or are you just looking for an alt to the API test kits?

You may want to look into one of the electronic ones. That is, of course, if you have a heavy wallet.

David

No, I'm not having problems with high nitrates. Sometimes I just want to know where I stand with the nitrate levels at certain points in the week since I do a weekly 50% water change. Also, most of my tanks have a fair number of live plants now so I think it's good to know the nitrate level for that reason as well.

Back
Top Bottom