Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there a Better Nitrate Test Kit

Sometimes I'd rather do an extra 50% water change halfway through the week rather than take a test with my API nitrAte test kit. Not only do you have to vigorously shake the bottle and the test vial, but you have to wait for a result that may not even help you determine what your actual levels are.

So, that's my question. Is there a better nitrate test kit out there that's affordable?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
The API test is a great test. I've never had issues with it. Honestly I don't test very often (Maybe once a month if that), I do two 50% water changes a week and it keeps the Nitrates in check. If your Nitrates are getting that high each week you need to look for the cause of the issue.

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser
Sometimes I'd rather do an extra 50% water change halfway through the week rather than take a test with my API nitrAte test kit. Not only do you have to vigorously shake the bottle and the test vial, but you have to wait for a result that may not even help you determine what your actual levels are.

So, that's my question. Is there a better nitrate test kit out there that's affordable?
I know Seachem has a nitrate test kit with no bottle shaking, but their test kits are expensive. Even if you find a kit online that's cheaper it's still not cheap considering it's just to test one parameter.
Do you have a nitrate problem or are you just looking for an alt to the API test kits?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bad news is that basically all the hobbiest level kits suck, but they tend to suck in different ways. Here's a thread at Reef Central that compares eight different test kits...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1721602

"Affordable" is a relative term.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You may want to look into one of the electronic ones. That is, of course, if you have a heavy wallet.

David
Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, I'm not having problems with high nitrates. Sometimes I just want to know where I stand with the nitrate levels at certain points in the week since I do a weekly 50% water change. Also, most of my tanks have a fair number of live plants now so I think it's good to know the nitrate level for that reason as well.

Tags
nitrate, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com