Is there a "better" water conditioner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am just looking to pick up some more online with some other stuff and I see lots of brands. Is there one brand that's better than the other or are they all about the same? I figure there can't be much to chlorine and chloramine remover.

I agree that prime is sorta better, especially if you have a 'big' tank....I bought the smallest bottle for my 10 gal. tank, and ive had it for like 5-6 months and theres still 1/4 left..

yea i recommend prime as well. I splurged on the big bottle over a month ago, and still have most of it left (i do weekly 50% water changes on all my tanks, and still have most of the bottle left)

I get it at Petsmart usually, last time i got it at my lfs (I was there, it was on the shelf, I knew I needed some soon...)

Can someone give me a link? I'm only seeing Pond Prime and I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

inP036176_14597.jpg

I just switched to Prime myself. I used a kind I knew 5 drops per gallon and I got sick of counting drops. I have a 55gl tank to attend to. Prime has been great for that.

I still use my old stuff (Wardley Chlor-Out) on my 10gl sometimes to use it up. Even yesterday I did PWC on both tanks and used Prime for both since I had it out.

I paid $9.99 at Petco for my 8.5FL oz bottle. I thought that was cheap. Petco is usually higher priced.

I am still getting use to the sulfur smell though when I first use it :)

I use wardley's, its only for chlorine and not for ammonia. I also has some jungle stuff I don't use. I found that whenever I add dechlor that also removes ammonia it takes up a lot of oxygen in the tank and soon after that fish are sucking air at the top. Its cycled anyway so there's no need for the ammonia remover.

DepotFish said:
I use wardley's, its only for chlorine and not for ammonia. I also has some jungle stuff I don't use. I found that whenever I add dechlor that also removes ammonia it takes up a lot of oxygen in the tank and soon after that fish are sucking air at the top. Its cycled anyway so there's no need for the ammonia remover.

That's very odd. You don't have any chloramines in your tap water correct?

I use Prime also. We buy it by the biggest bottle available since we do 50% water changes weekly on a 150, 29, and two 55s. It is cheaper and goes a long way. Our most recent bottle lasted us a good 6 to 8 months. I use a baby medicine syringe that measures in ml, it is a lot easier.

When I started, all I would use was Novaqua (good stuff, nto for chloramine though).

Now I'm still using the Wardley's, Aquasafe & other stuff I've accumulated via kits, gifts etc. They all work well enough, but when I go out & buy some, it will be Prime based on what I've heard here & elsewhere.

For dosing, I use disposible transfer pipets (they're graduated like the baby medicine droppers mentioned above, but a bit more accurate & free, to me anyway).

i use prime for all of my tanks. I have several very large tanks (125, 55, etc.) and i still have prime left after about 3 months of using the little bottle.

No, no chloramines, I really don't have much chlorine either. I found another person on a different board who had the same problem with the Jungle stuff, gasping at the surface and whatnot, I think one of their fish died too. They didn't change the water right away, I changed the water as soon as I noticed the gasping.

I just bought Prime today. First thing I did when I opened it was take a big wiff. Whoo boy.
I've smelled worse (Ammonia Detox, Fish Oil (for cooking, ugh!!)) but that stuff is pungent.

Back
Top Bottom