Is there a such thing as too much??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a quick question.. is there a such thing as too much air in an aquarium?? i have a 10 gal tank that i bought a 12 inch undergravel air stone.. is that too much?? is there a such thing as "death from too much oxygen?"

Nope. When the water is saturated it wont take more air in.

that's right -
there is a limit to the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water

as psipro pointed out...
when the water is saturated, no more oxygen can dissolve in the aquarium regardless of the amount of the airstones or surface agitation.

on this same note:
because there is a limit on the amount of oxygen that can enter the aquarium -
this in turn also limits the stocking/biocapacity of the tank.
Good bacteria require oxygen to breed.
Therefore, there will be a stage where the aquarium can no longer support both the fish and bacteria (because both require and will compete for oxygen)

Another point is regards to the airstone -
although the airstone will help maximize the amount of oxygen in the aquarium - you have to keep in mind the water movement in the tank
some fish do NOT like excessive bubbles and current in the tank -
1. make sure that there is a place for the fish to rest
2. make sure that the current is NOT at the center of the tank (if possible, make the current on the side). This will maximize the swimming room in the tank

i have a quick question.. is there a such thing as too much air in an aquarium?? i have a 10 gal tank that i bought a 12 inch undergravel air stone.. is that too much?? is there a such thing as "death from too much oxygen?"

Welcome to AA. This is true for fish, but for ADF's for example, there is an illness that can occur due to much oxygen in the tank for their gentle systems. ADF's "breath" through their skin.

It's best to put your air stone near your heater so the heated water can better circulate throughout the tank and not leave you "hot spots".

Back
Top Bottom