Is there any way to add more light into my aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a lid that can only fit one 17 watt light bulb for a 29 gallon tank. Is there any way I can possibly add another light maybe a lamp on the side or something?

There's lots of options to add lighting to an aquarium, you just will likely not be able to use the existing hood. One of the easier ways is to buy an incandescent light as opposed to the fluorescent and then replace the incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents. Another easy way would be to buy a flexible strip of LEDs and add them to your existing light fixture.

You can also, as you said, add lighting to the sides, or you could replace the hood with a glass top, a versatop or similar, then set a couple of small shop lights over the glass.....you could get rid of the hood all together and hang a shop two or four tube fixture over the tank....or you get a higher powered T5 hood...your options are mainly limited by cost. :)

Search "pittbully13 's DIY hood conversion" it's the way to go if you have the time and skills..

I just changed the exact setup you started with. Give me a few minutes to dig up some of my old threads for some ideas, including a pair of 40 watt LTTs.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of bulb? How long is the tank? Removing the hood can also add a lot of options..

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks all for your suggestions. If I choose to add the LED strips how would I measure the brightness?

I really like this one: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light for Aquarium. Would that be OK? If I remove the hood, won't evaporation be a problem.

How would I measure the brightness? I mean compare it to my other light?

What kinds of plants would this be able to grow?

It is a 30 inch long tank. T8 Aqueon Floramax bulb.

You have what I had Jojobo. I'm having a tough time posting my pictures though. :mad:

Here's some of my pics. It's probably the same as your current one regutted.

Attachments

• 1399735732900.jpg
    1399735732900.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 59
  • 1399735761236.jpg
    1399735761236.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 46
  • 1399735806312.jpg
    1399735806312.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 50
  • 1399736279525.jpg
    1399736279525.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 90
I bought a lid that can only fit one 17 watt light bulb for a 29 gallon tank. Is there any way I can possibly add another light maybe a lamp on the side or something?

I just did this a few months ago. I put in a colormax bulb in the hood.

And then I got this :http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/10/marineland-blue-accent-led-hidden-lighting-strips-handled/

It clips onto the trim of the tank and gives you day and night options.

You'll want to fast forward to like minute 3:00 but this is a video I made
http://youtu.be/nLgCeN1stQU

I don't see a Colormax bulb getting it done. I think he needs at least dual 32's.

I don't see a Colormax bulb getting it done. I think he needs at least dual 32's.

Check the whole post. I just have a colormax in the hood. And then the Marineland hidden LED that clips on the trim. It is plenty of light. He could do a regular bulb in the hood with the hidden LED, I was just showing what I did.

My main point is that the Marineland Hidden LED strip is a terrific way to get more light. I have been so happy with it.

This is showing my 30 gallon so it would be plenty of light for a 29.

I really like this one: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light for Aquarium. Would that be OK? If I remove the hood, won't evaporation be a problem.

I have the LED+ on my 20 gallon. It is a nice fixture and it grows my plants very well. Any low light plant will do just fine.

I replaced the hood with a glass Versatop from Aqueon. You can run the tank with just the lights over an open top but I was worried about fish jumping out. I have a Cory who has collided with my top when shooting up for some air!

Evaporation can be easily topped off but some fish and shrimp will jump.

I have the LED+ on my 20 gallon. It is a nice fixture and it grows my plants very well. Any low light plant will do just fine.

I replaced the hood with a glass Versatop from Aqueon. You can run the tank with just the lights over an open top but I was worried about fish jumping out. I have a Cory who has collided with my top when shooting up for some air!

Evaporation can be easily topped off but some fish and shrimp will jump.

I have versa tops with the aqueon modular LED on my 55, I like it a lot.

Check the whole post. I just have a colormax in the hood. And then the Marineland hidden LED that clips on the trim. It is plenty of light. He could do a regular bulb in the hood with the hidden LED, I was just showing what I did.

My main point is that the Marineland Hidden LED strip is a terrific way to get more light. I have been so happy with it.

This is showing my 30 gallon so it would be plenty of light for a 29.

I saw what you said, but to get the PAR you actually need (per all specs I am finding), your LED strip would have to be so bright that you would overpower that 17 watt T8 and it would contribute similar to a match in front of a stand light. You're better off removing it to fit more LEDs in.

Back
Top Bottom