Is there anything I can keep in a 1 or 5 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Biotoper said:
Yeah, a densely planted filterless 5g tank will be lot more work to set-up (light, substrate, CO2 maybe) than one w/ sponge filter and w/o plants.

Also, I'm sure everyone knows, but I'd just like to clarify that we're talking about Betta splendens. I think most other Betta species, like B. imbellis which you occasionally see for sale, need bigger tanks.

You can go no or low tech and have to worry about the light only (2wpg), substrate would only need to be sutible for low-light plants...

I bought Lustar Hydro-Sponge Filter 2 to put in my 29 gal to use for a QT if I needed one. It didn't mention how many gallons it was rated for. Would this be the right size?

I was hoping to use the Wal-Mart HOB for a new tank but I could just hang the it on the 29 gal tank, along with the AquaClear, and use it for a QT tank couldn't I?

How long should I run the sponge filter in the 29 gal to have it cycled to move over to the 5.5 gal?

A planted tank is a little scary for me at this point. Maybe in a while. I'm still newish.

Oh, and I totally have this MTS thing. Its like all I do is read about fish and tanks and read forums all day! But it makes me sooooo happy :D

The hatchery that I go to has the Lustar Hydro sponge line. I tried the I and II and I thought they both were too big for a 5.5 gallon tank. Did you try to sit it in the tank and see if it fits?

I wish they would have fit, though. They're a great product. I ended up getting an Azoo sponge filter, rated for 10 gallons. I think the Lustar II is rated for 20 gallons. It's going to take up quite a bit of room in the 5.5 gallon tank -- or it may be too tall. If it does fit (probably just barely!) it may be too powerful. I would use a gang valve if necessary to lessen the airflow through it so the water movement isn't too powerful.

To seed a new sponge, it will take 2-3 weeks, depending on the bioload of the tank you put the new sponge in. For example, I probably would wait a long time to seed a sponge in one of my 5 gallon tanks. With just one betta, there isn't tons of bacteria in that tank. But if you leave a sponge in an established tank for a few weeks, and then put it in a new tank, the bacteria will quickly adapt to the new bioload.

I ordered the sponge filter online so I really have no idea how big it is.

It sounds like I'm going to have to break down and buy a 10 gal. They're cheap so it won't be a big deal.

In a 10 could I get female Bettas as well? Do they work in the normal 1m/2f setup? Do you think I could stick a couple Danios or something in there too?

Maybe I'll just stick with the puffer idea...they're cute :D

battas(males and females) are not keep together except to spawn... and its done for a very short period of time.. the male will harm the females otherwise... sorry if this is bad news.. :( I think the puffers are very cute... :mrgreen: I would do those or killies if it were me! That really depends on what fish are available to you, you might look into what your LFS can order for you.. :mrgreen:

I got the Hydro-Sponge II toady and set it in the tank. The lift tube would stick up about a half inch above the water and doesn't quite fit in the tank.

Could I just snip 1/2 off the lift tube to make it fit/submerse?

Would a 1.7W air pump be small enough or should I use a gang valve to further reduse it?

I'm going with the Betta :D

the tube being a little out of the water shouldnt hurt its performance.. it would bubble water up out of the tube if its working correctly.. it might be a bit too much pressure for your air pump to muster though so check to make sure the water is coming out. Its always a good idea to bleed off any exess air from your pump with a gang valve.. it helps to prevent damage to the pump.. HTH

Great, thanks again for your help.

I ended cutting the lift so it sits about an 1/4 inch under the water level to allow for evaporation.

I read in an article about Bettas that they like low light levels. Is there any kind of plant that can survive the incandescent bulbs I have? Its probably about 8 to 10 watts. Its not marked.

Meaile said:
I read in an article about Bettas that they like low light levels. Is there any kind of plant that can survive the incandescent bulbs I have? Its probably about 8 to 10 watts. Its not marked.

A screw in CF is probably your best bet to get the light needed for low light plants.. the luminosity of a 8-10 watt incandescent really isnt enough light for even the low light plants..

Be careful though with those screw ins. They can be too intense and give you an algae fest and just look really too sterile;like operating room bright. The plant bulbs at walmart will live off incandescents and java fern should too. Or you can stick with good ole silk plants :)

I have a desk lamp with a 30w CF screw-in over my 10g dwarf puffer tank (I originally had it open-top but it was too tempting for my baby daughter to try to throw stuff in it ;) ). Since the tank is below eye level, I like being able to see in from above, even if it's through a glass top. Because of the spiral tube, a 30w screw-in is probably more comparable to a 20w NO strip. I think it's around 3K temp, so pretty yellow.

I had algae problems for a little while, but now it's stabilized with good vallis and watersprite growth. The java moss has some black beard algae growing on it, but I control that by throwing infected moss in with my platies who surprisingly devour BBA.

Back
Top Bottom