Is there really a need to cycle a quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nortzy21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I am planning on getting fish sometime in the next few weeks but I need to quarantine them first so I'm going to set up a 20 gallon with a simple HOB filter, a heater and some PVC pipe for hiding spots. I want to know how to go about setting up the quarantine. Should I actually cycle it? Should I seed it with water from my 75G display? Or should I not even cycle it? FYI, I'm going to be quarantining hardy fish like danios and neon tetras. ANY input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Quaranite Tank, yes. Fish will be in there for a few weeks so having an established source of biomedia is vital for the health of your fish.

Medical tank, no. With fish isolated for health reasons you should be performing daily or at least every second day water changes which should avoid harmful buildup of ammonia.

You d want to use media from your current filter to seed it, the tank water wouldn t be enough.
Enjoy your new fish!

You d want to use media from your current filter to seed it, the tank water wouldn t be enough.
Enjoy your new fish!

Ok how long should the tank be cycling before I can add fish? I would probably get the fish in two weeks or less.

That could work if you put in a nicely seeded filter pad. Only way to know is to test with the API test kit.

Back
Top Bottom