Is there room for more fish in this ten gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bliner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a ten gallon with gravel and heater. It's been cycled for awile and has a sponge filter ( it started out as a grow out fry tank ) I'm going to get an aquaclear 20 HOB filter for it. It has 2 female platies. I'm not entirely new to aquariums but I still have more to learn all the time...started fishkeeping about a year ago. I have 3 tanks in all and really enjoy them. So finally my question, would it be possible to add more fish to this tank? I know 10 gallons are small but I was wondering if there were any suggestions. I thought about getting another female platy. I know she might end up being pregnant but I have a LFS who will take fry I can't keep. I'm not 100% sure of my options. Iv been researching and read everything from: I need to get a larger tank for the 2 platties to I can add many more fish to the ten with the platies. Im not expecting to add many more fish and won't add any at all if adding them would be inappropiate. I just thought I would ask for some opinons.

Thanks for your time in reading.

I wouldn't hesitate to add a couple more platies, especially if the tank is established. The inch-per-gallon "rule" is not really a hard and fast rule, but it a decent rough guideline... especially for a fish like platies.

Ok thanks for everyones advice. I checked the website and got to around 5 platys at 90% full, adding more went over 100%. Would 5 platys be happy as adults in that small a tank? I clicked the option to only show suitable species for a ten gallon and it had many I didn't think hardly many fish would be happy in a ten gallon. What are your opinions on this? Suggestions? Would any other species of fish behave and be happy with my 2 platies in the ten?

Thanks for helping me, very much appreciated. I have some time before I will be adding other fish. I'm thinking of finding a couple options then will see what the fish store has once I'm ready. :)

If you want something besides more Platys, remember to think outside the box - a FW aquarium doesn't have to be just fish.

Bottom-feeder: Have you thought about a Bristlenose Pleco? They don't get very big and can keep extra food and algae from building up.

Invertibrates: Freshwater Nerites can be a colorful and functional addition to any tank. I was about to recommend ghost shrimp as well, but the Platys might pick on the shrimp.

You can always always have more fish than AqAdvice. It's all about your dedication and time; if you have a lot of time, more fish is perfectly fine because you will clean it more regularly. It will also help to have different areas in your tank, caves, open space etc. I'm pretty sure all my tanks are 'overstocked' but I've never (ever) had any fish die on me.

You'll receive different advice from everyone.

Yep, I consider AqAdvisor to be the 'safe' level of fish for the tank. It's still useful because it has told me I can have a load more fish in my 35G than I'd previously thought I could.

Thanks everyone. By catfish are you speaking of the Cory fish? These fish are very cool, I'd love to have them some day. I heard they prefer sand though and I have gravel.... I tried the following scenario in the website and it seemed to be ok. Adding 2 more platies making 4 and 2 oto fish. Once changes are made and settled accounting. Iv heard of sensitivity of otos and am contemplating this. I also enjoy the snails and shrimps placment, I have them in other tanks but with otos I may need to leave them out since it may compile too many algea eaters and not enough algea though I feed other sources like algea discs , vegetables, other fish foods. I water change once a week with large amount of water plus conditioners and test regularly with a test kit that uses liquid. Thanks again for advice, it is good to hear many opinions from others to help in my decision.

Thanks everyone. By catfish are you speaking of the Cory fish? These fish are very cool, I'd love to have them some day. I heard they prefer sand though and I have gravel.

That's true, but it depends on the type of gravel. If you have large pieces with sharp edges then cories are a no go, but personally I have small gravel with stones about 2mm long and they are fine with that.

I also have cories on small gravel and they are fine. Their barbells were all worn off when I got them, but have grown back in. I also have ghost shrimp with three Platies and they dont bother.

Thanks. My gravel is small and is not edged sharp. There are a few bigger pieces but they are very smoothed textured. I will consider everything. I have the ac filter in and an just letting that running, growing plants more fully. I have a much better comprehension of my options now. Thanks again for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom