Is there such a thing as a freshwater shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't believe so, no...i think it's just a name. i have a redtail shark, but real sharks have a totally different anatomy (no scales and gill structure is a major one i think) as well as the requirement for saltwater. i could be wrong, but that's my understanding. i'm sure there's a lot more people here with more insight than i.

There ARE true freshwater sharks but certainly not the kind you could keep in a home aquarium. The Lake Nicaragua Shark, which is probably identical to the Bull Shark (Carcharhinus leucas) is known to complete its life cycle entirely in fresh water. C. leucas can make the trip up the Rio San Juan that connects Lake Nicaragua to the Caribbean Sea, traversing the many rapids on that river.

Other salt-water sharks and their relatives will also move from estuaries into purely fresh water on occasion. The previously mentioned Bull Shark has penetrated up the Mississippi River for about 1000 miles and occasionally moves as much as some 2,600 miles up the Amazon. Numerous types of skates and rays also move from salt to fresh water. The Potamotrygonid stingrays are virtually all adapted to fresh water.

Fruitbat is correct. There are several catfish that are called sharks, but are not. The problem is that many of these fish are not suitible to the aquarium due to the maximum sizes they reach.

wow thats cool i never knew there was a true freshwater shark :) when i was little i thought the bala sharks would get big and turn into the big sharks you find in the ocean LOL..

Bala sharks get plenty big for an aquarium 8O :D

There are many sharks atht start life in slightly brackish water but eventually they end up in the sea. That is actually the case for many of the "sharks" they seel at LFS as well. Many are fine in fresh water when young but require movement to more brackish water when they age.

I keep my tank slightly brackish anyways... may move away from that though. I really want some Clown Loaches, and the salt is bad for them...

I'd like to get some balas though! I've finally got a large enough tank.

Back
Top Bottom