Is there such a thing as to much prime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I'm in the beginning stages of treating an ich outbreak.

Water temp is between 82-86 and I'm doing about 45% wc every day to remove any trace of ich in the water but every time I add water back in I'm added the required does of prime...

What I don't know is if this will stall the cycle cause I'm also still going the the first cycle( yes I was a little stupid and added some fish). I know prime neutralizes nitrate an nitrite and maybe ammo... But not entirely sure.

Any suggestions, comments or knowledge I don't have but need?

Also if you need any clarification on the situation let me know and I'll give you the best information I can considering I'm at work right now.

Thanks in advance

As long as your adding the proper amount of prime, your fine. It neutralizes the ammo and nitirites into a less toxic forms, but your BB will still be able to consume the ammo.

ok good to know, its unfortunate that i had the outbreak to begin with aside from being impatient and adding the fish, but i just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to mess up my cycle...

also.. would you happen to know if there is any good reading on this forum about what exactly the nitrite and nitrate do in a fish tank? i know that the nitrite is seriously harmful in large amount but i'm not really sure as to what they are to begin with and would like to read about them..

also.. would you happen to know if there is any good reading on this forum about what exactly the nitrite and nitrate do in a fish tank? i know that the nitrite is seriously harmful in large amount but i'm not really sure as to what they are to begin with and would like to read about them..

Ask and you shall receive .. Albeit from another forum .. But still.(y)

Fish Poop and You: A Primer - Aquarium Forum

Well, I don't know of any place on this forum, I have only been on here for about 2 months. What I do know about them myself: Nitrite is very harmful even in small amounts and a strong bio filter is necessary to keep nitrite levels at a minimum. Nitrate is a waste by-product and only large build ups of Nitrate (40 ppm+) are harmful. High nitrate levels are often the cause of algae. In your tank you want 0 ppm nitrite and below 40 ppm nitrate, preferably around 20. Hope this helped.

-bud

EDIT: OK, jcolon has something better. You can probably disregard this.

Back
Top Bottom