Is there such thing as an "underwater" plant light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freude88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is such thing as an underwater plant light? I am putting together a tall tank and it would be nice to have something like that for the light to reach the bottom better.

Thanks!

Joy

Theres nothing that would be useful for growing plants that is store bought, but if youre willing to diy a light fixture i could probably think of a few ways to make it work

Following along with interest as kind of looking at the same thing.

I'm after something pretty cheap and more of an add-on to existing lights though. Looking for something that could sit at front of tank and shine light towards back / centre.

One trouble I am finding is cord length ideally needs to be two metres between LED and transformer box so I can mount the box out of the way.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/1314303854...2057872.m2749.l2649&_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

Consider that the surface of the light itself will be the optimal location for algae growth.

Yes, I think that could be a concern as well. I must confess for the price I'm kind of tempted to test it out though :) I'd hope that the new growth headed for the underwater light as well (not just straight up).

Curious how they worked out for anyone that may have tried them.

Underwater lights.

Just thinking about your question. If your tank has substrate and you mounted a light underneath light won't penetrate through it. I have seen LED lights with an air stone that is put in the tank for decoration. But this isn't a grow light. If there is plenty of light from above. I don't think it is necessary to have a light underneath. Is the reason you want a light underneath because the plants are not growing. I would like to know what kind of light is on the tank right now. If you bought a package tank. Just from experience the light usually isn't for growing plants. Just for seeing fish. There is a big difference in spectrum in a grow light than a light that just lights the tank. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom