Is this a bacterial bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this a bacterial bloom?

Sure looks like it. (y)
As I said in an earlier conversation with you when this happened before, if you had just let it settle on it's own, you'd be past this stage but you changed water which just delayed the process that clears this up. I realize its not the best to look at but again, I'd let it settle out on it's own. Your tank will be a stronger tank when it eventually clears. If you have any of the fritzyme #7, I'd add another dose of that and just let nature take it's course. (y)

Sure looks like it. (y)
As I said in an earlier conversation with you when this happened before, if you had just let it settle on it's own, you'd be past this stage but you changed water which just delayed the process that clears this up. I realize its not the best to look at but again, I'd let it settle out on it's own. Your tank will be a stronger tank when it eventually clears. If you have any of the fritzyme #7, I'd add another dose of that and just let nature take it's course. (y)

I wont change the tank water. I did add Fritz 7, I will let the tank alone. I forgot we talked about this before, sorry about that. But thanks for brining this to my attention, again. Will do as you say, now that I remember, I also ordered liquid test kit with ammonia, to check my ammonia levels. I do ok with test strips, but the ammonia test is hard to read, that is why I just bought the liquid test kit for ammonia.

Ammonia (This is where I need the liquid test kit) I think it's 0.5
That is why I need the liquid test kit, cause I can't tell where the number is based on color). I'm getting the liquid test kit tomorrow.
Nitrite 0
Ntrate 0
ph 8.0

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told

I was told, that I could put two panda cories in my 6.5 gallon tank, i think they are wrong, as cories school in 6 or more. I doubt I can put 6 cories in a 6.5 gallon tank. I have a Betta fish in my 6.5 gallon tank, and I believe that is all I can add to the tank. I do have a 20 gallon, high. I could put the panda cories in there. I think so anyways.
I forgot to mention a have:
3 panda cories
5 pepper cories
7 glow fish
3 red eyed tetra's
I am lookin to put in 6 panda cories to my 20
Gallon High.. tank
I did not buy the 6 panda cories for my 20 gallon, yet. I want to see what you the people think about it, before I buy. I do not want to over crowd my 20 Gallon High tank.

I was told, that I could put two panda cories in my 6.5 gallon tank, i think they are wrong, as cories school in 6 or more. I doubt I can put 6 cories in a 6.5 gallon tank. I have a Betta fish in my 6.5 gallon tank, and I believe that is all I can add to the tank. I do have a 20 gallon, high. I could put the panda cories in there. I think so anyways.
I forgot to mention a have:
3 panda cories
5 pepper cories
7 glow fish
3 red eyed tetra's
I am lookin to put in 6 panda cories to my 20
Gallon High.. tank
I did not buy the 6 panda cories for my 20 gallon, yet. I want to see what you the people think about it, before I buy. I do not want to over crowd my 20 Gallon High tank.

I truly believe that you were mislead. Cory catfish do not belong in that small of an aquarium. Even a 10 gallon is pushing it for the three pigmy species. Once you get your 20 gallon cycled and stable, the Pandas should go in there. If you already have the salt and pepper cories for there, I'd not get anymore Pandas and try to rehome the 3 that you have.
Yes, cories do better in schools but there is no hard and fast rule that it has to be 6 although the more the better for them. The point is that cory species don't always get along with each other so the school should contain a single species and not 3 or 4 or 5 different species.
The same goes with the Red Eyes. They shouldn't be in anything smaller than the 20. What type of glow fish do you have? Glo danios can fit in a smaller tank than the glow tetras or glow barbs or other glow species.

I truly believe that you were mislead. Cory catfish do not belong in that small of an aquarium. Even a 10 gallon is pushing it for the three pigmy species. Once you get your 20 gallon cycled and stable, the Pandas should go in there. If you already have the salt and pepper cories for there, I'd not get anymore Pandas and try to rehome the 3 that you have.
Yes, cories do better in schools but there is no hard and fast rule that it has to be 6 although the more the better for them. The point is that cory species don't always get along with each other so the school should contain a single species and not 3 or 4 or 5 different species.
The same goes with the Red Eyes. They shouldn't be in anything smaller than the 20. What type of glow fish do you have? Glo danios can fit in a smaller tank than the glow tetras or glow barbs or other glow species.

What type of glow fish do you have? I have the glo Tetra's.

41YjHgmlPRL._AC_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is prime a water conditioner?

Is Prime a water conditioner? Also is Fritz Complete a water conditioner?
Wow is really storming tonight, anyway I just want to make sure I am conditioning my fish water. I think they are conditioners, cause it says so on the bottle.

Prime is a water conditioner, fritz complete is a water conditioner. So is the aqua essential you have previously mentioned.

They are all essentially identical products. Pick one, you dont need all 3.

Thank you.

Prime is a water conditioner, fritz complete is a water conditioner. So is the aqua essential you have previously mentioned.

They are all essentially identical products. Pick one, you dont need all 3.

Thanks. Will do just one conditioner.

What type of glow fish do you have? I have the glo Tetra's.

41YjHgmlPRL._AC_.jpg

Okay, these too need to be in the 20 gal. It looks like most of your fish should be in the 20. You need to stick with "Nano" fish species for those 6.5 gals and with a Betta in each, your choices are severely limited. Brightly colored fish can cause the Betta to attack them. If the fish are too small, the Bettas can eat them. If the fish need good water movement, that's not good for the Bettas. You'd be better with keeping some mystery snails or similar snail species with the Betta instead of most fish.
This is the check list for choosing:
Betta Tank Mate Checklist
It’s better to add a betta to an established community tank.
Purchase the correct minimum tank size for your community tank.
Community tanks should be filtered and heated accordingly.
Quarantine all new fish in a separate tank for 4-6 weeks.
Always acclimate tank mates to reduce stress and shock.
Have an exile tank and net ready should anything go wrong.
Monitor tank mates closely for at least 72 hours or more.
Add lots of plants and other decorations for hideouts.
All new tank mates must require similar water parameters.
Many species will require different food than a betta.
Avoid tank mates with bright coloring and long fins.
Never add other aggressive fish species.

As you can see, your choices are very limited due to the size of your tank.

I used liquid test kit for ammonia

I used liquid test kit for ammonia on all three tanks and it was really easy to read. All ammonia was 0 in all three tanks. It came back yellow. I was shaking real bad though. I'm going to have to buy something on Amazon to hold the test tube up. I used my microwave to hold up the test tube. :fish1::fish2:

All bettas have their own tank, with no other fish

Okay, these too need to be in the 20 gal. It looks like most of your fish should be in the 20. You need to stick with "Nano" fish species for those 6.5 gals and with a Betta in each, your choices are severely limited. Brightly colored fish can cause the Betta to attack them. If the fish are too small, the Bettas can eat them. If the fish need good water movement, that's not good for the Bettas. You'd be better with keeping some mystery snails or similar snail species with the Betta instead of most fish.
This is the check list for choosing:
Betta Tank Mate Checklist
It’s better to add a betta to an established community tank.
Purchase the correct minimum tank size for your community tank.
Community tanks should be filtered and heated accordingly.
Quarantine all new fish in a separate tank for 4-6 weeks.
Always acclimate tank mates to reduce stress and shock.
Have an exile tank and net ready should anything go wrong.
Monitor tank mates closely for at least 72 hours or more.
Add lots of plants and other decorations for hideouts.
All new tank mates must require similar water parameters.
Many species will require different food than a betta.
Avoid tank mates with bright coloring and long fins.
Never add other aggressive fish species.

As you can see, your choices are very limited due to the size of your tank.
All bettas have their own tank, with no other fish, and is going to stay that way. I did get two more panda cories, so the fish could school. That is all I'm going to buy for my 20 gallon tank. I did check my ammonia with liquid test kit, and all ammonia, and all tanks are at 0

I used liquid test kit for ammonia on all three tanks and it was really easy to read. All ammonia was 0 in all three tanks. It came back yellow. I was shaking real bad though. I'm going to have to buy something on Amazon to hold the test tube up. I used my microwave to hold up the test tube. :fish1::fish2:
You can go to a place like Michaels or another store like that and get yourself a block of styrofoam ( that they use for artificial flower vases) and just use a sharpened pencil to make a hole for the test tube. (y)

I'm not familiar with the different brands of test strips but you can see now that the strip you were using was not accurate so you can't really trust the results of the other tests if they were on the same strip. I'd have someone else verify your results before adding any new fish.

I used Api liquid

You can go to a place like Michaels or another store like that and get yourself a block of styrofoam ( that they use for artificial flower vases) and just use a sharpened pencil to make a hole for the test tube. (y)

I'm not familiar with the different brands of test strips but you can see now that the strip you were using was not accurate so you can't really trust the results of the other tests if they were on the same strip. I'd have someone else verify your results before adding any new fish.

I used
API AMMONIA 130-Test Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Water Test Kit.
It is liquid test. I found a holder on amazon, for the test tubes. I need to buy me the master test kit. If I have enough money left over. I will buy this month I will buy it.
:fish2::fish1::thanks::dance:(y)

I used
API AMMONIA 130-Test Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Water Test Kit.
It is liquid test. I found a holder on amazon, for the test tubes. I need to buy me the master test kit. If I have enough money left over. I will buy this month I will buy it.
:fish2::fish1::thanks::dance:(y)

It's your money :whistle: ;) ;) :D I'm more a DIYer so I look for the least expensive way to get the maximum result. The master kit has the holders built into the packaging so no need for extra holders. (y)

Thank you.

It's your money :whistle: ;) ;) :D I'm more a DIYer so I look for the least expensive way to get the maximum result. The master kit has the holders built into the packaging so no need for extra holders. (y)

Thank you. I did not know that. Well, that will save some money. :thanks: :dance: When I'm done can I pour down the drain? Or where do I pour the contents out, like in the trash?

Thank you. I did not know that. Well, that will save some money. :thanks: :dance: When I'm done can I pour down the drain? Or where do I pour the contents out, like in the trash?

I've always done the drain or the lawn or the trash or the..... The chemicals are in such small amount that they shouldn't affect anything if you are on septic or change anything if you are on city water. (y)

I have a question on the API test kit.

Never mind I found it.

I just ordered master test kit from Amazon

I just ordered master test kit from Amazon. After today. I see how badly I need correct test results. It come on Friday, but I could get it earlier. I guess just wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom