Is this a BN Pleco???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The females do not get the bristles. Only the males. Got mine very small and the male already had little bristles growing. I would suppose in a month or 2, but I might be wrong.

In a separate thread today, a fishkeeper who has BN fry in his tank indicated that the bristles start growing in at 3-4 months. I thought the females got them, too, but just not as heavy as the males.

I've got my female for 2 months now and not a sign of bristles. She's about 2.5 - 3 inches long. Might be depending on the species if the females get it or not. I know she is a BN because when the pet shop guy tried to catch her the hooks underneath the gills came out. Only Ancistrus do that when they are treatened.

My male I have for a month now and is about 2 inches and when I got him at the shop he had little stubbles. Since they have grown a bit.

The females will get them, they are just reduced, usually non-branching. The males' bristles can get pretty branched.

I had the same question posted a while ago and someone posted a scanned picture from a book of the different Plecos and how to identify them by using the shape of its mouth. A BN pleco has a round orifice. I can't post the link on my iPod so I'll have to hunt for it for a min or two. Brb.

There are way too many species of plecos with mouths way too similar for that to be reliable, the bristles are a lot more straight forward.

Back
Top Bottom