Is this a CAE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought what I thought were a couple of otos about 2 months ago, but turns out these things are getting big and quite aggressive. I've never had any algae eaters before so I had no idea I was being terribly mislead, but it's obvious now they are certainly not otos. I am really concerned about these fish being in the tank with my angels. They're in my 40b which is densely planted and I have no idea how I'll ever catch them. Any tips would be appreciated, as would any takers. I have no idea what to do with them and my lfs owner won't take them.

Attachments

• SAE.jpg
    SAE.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 64
That picture definitely looks like an oto. How big is it? Mine look exactly like that but are only a around 2" and haven't grown any bigger in about a year.
If they are any bigger, then it could possibly be the giant version

That picture definitely looks like an oto. How big is it? Mine look exactly like that but are only a around 2" and haven't grown any bigger in about a year.
If they are any bigger, then it could possibly be the giant version

At least 3 inches, maybe more. Aren't otos peaceful? The big one chases the other one if it gets in sight of it.

I believe it is. Watch out as they get bigger... Mine have started chasing my other fish.

Looks like one to me too :(. Hubby bought one and brought it home one day as a surprise lol.... He did not last long with my angels before he had to be kicked out.

Thanks, any idea on how to catch them? Some sort of trap maybe?

They are not just quick, they are very cunning also, which is why they are hard to catch.
The only way I was able to catch mine was to persevere until he became exhausted. I had relocated the other inhabitants to another (larger) tank, and seized the opportunity to get rid of him. I couldn't have caught him without completely terrorizing the rest of the fish otherwise.
Good luck!

Guess I've got my work cut out for me. My biggest problem is what to do with them if I do catch them. I hate the thought of the last resort, but I can't put my angels or other fish at risk. I'm going to contact the store I bought them from. Hopefully they'll have sympathy, especially since one of their employee's are partly responsible.

I find catching fish at night with a flashlight is often the easiest way to catch fish.

Back
Top Bottom