Is this a CAE??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on the size of your tank and how many plants, root tabs can be bought or made (see link posted by Yumar). If your tank isn't too big and you only have a few swords and other heavy feeders, you can buy them as they only need to be replaced every few months. Either of the two liquid fertilizers recommended earlier by Yumar would be good to use once a week (API Leaf Zone, Seachem Flourish). There is basic information about planted tanks on the planted tank section of this forum. Planted tanks are a bit more work, but well worth it for their beauty, help with water quality, and in less-stressed fish.

I think the one on the right is an SAE. I have SAEs and Otos. SAEs are peaceful but can grow to 6 inches and are lively swimmers. I didn't catch how big your tank is. SAEs will eat algae, but I have found Otos to be much more effective than my SAEs and BN Plecos. I enjoy my SAEs, though, and their funny antics.

Pretty crazy that they sold you those fish as Otos.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

-Ok so yesterday I got a Pleco as i know what they are and im tired of the CAE errors... today I went back to the store and was told that this fish i am showing you is an Oto, and it was also labeled Oto. If I find out this is a SAE i am going to be highly annoyed as the 'fish expert' who took marine biology was the one who told me it is an Oto, on a good note I did learn they sell dwarf Pleco, so when the one i got yesterday gets to big i will get a dwarf next time.
-someone asked about the tank size it is a 29 gallon, i am now using the Rocket filter, it sure does work well i have used it for 3 days and its needed to be cleaned everyday. I am very pleased with the filter purchase..
CAE & SAE STRESSED

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 39
-Ok so yesterday I got a Pleco as i know what they are and im tired of the CAE errors... today I went back to the store and was told that this fish i am showing you is an Oto, and it was also labeled Oto. If I find out this is a SAE i am going to be highly annoyed as the 'fish expert' who took marine biology was the one who told me it is an Oto, on a good note I did learn they sell dwarf Pleco, so when the one i got yesterday gets to big i will get a dwarf next time.

-someone asked about the tank size it is a 29 gallon, i am now using the Rocket filter, it sure does work well i have used it for 3 days and its needed to be cleaned everyday. I am very pleased with the filter purchase..

CAE & SAE STRESSED

Okay, that little guy looks like the oto you've been waiting for!

Finally. Thanks to all. Anyone have opinions, comments you'd like to share with me? They are pretty.

Sence you are kind of starting out and only have 1? Crypt I would just get some seachem roottabs instead of trying to make your own. Just push them into the soil near your crypt and waa laa. I have a 150 gallon with 1 under my 3 vals and 2 under my 3 crypts.

Hi Artist!!! I have 2 right now but will be in the area today and hope to get.2 more
I have a few plants. Was considering adding pinch of miracle grow.

Agreed on getting 3 or more. Also, be prepared that some of them may die for no apparent reason. I got 5 and one died about three weeks after I got them. No outward signs of illness. It is my understanding that they go through a lot of stress for various reasons since they are wild caught and feed on biofilm and many of them don't make it very long. If they survive without too much damage, then I think they can be pretty long lived.

I had 3 , 1 died, I was mia then the next day I found him and the other one dead. I googled and found a few peaceful AE that I think I will try. 1 is some kind of cat I forget the name I wrote down, but it's wild looking. It's 6-8" full grown but very thin. Not cheap but will really make a statement in my aquarium. I'd also like a couple cherry and blue shrimp. ;)

Back
Top Bottom