Is this a good idea? (filtration)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have kind of a weird setup right now, a Rena Filstar Xp2 and Xp3 as well as a large UV sterilizer.

Is the way I have them arranged a good idea?

Basically, I have intake>coarse foam>semi-coarse foam>UV light>Bio media>Bio media> carbon and filter floss. (this part is wrong in the pick)

pumpsetup.png

Seems to me that its not the best setup, and the reason being is that you are making the assumption that the flow rate is the same for both filters. As long as the 2 basket filter is supplying water to the 3 basket at a higher rate than the other way around, you should be fine. If however your course filter gets clogged up a bit and can't send water through the first filter fast enough, your second filter could possible run dry.

You would most certainly be better off having each filter separate.
I would suggest each filter draw from one end of the tank and discarge to the other end. That way you get good cross flow.

I agree separate them.The uv should be after the bio media if the flow isn't to strong on it.If it is I would put it on the smaller canister, the slower flow is better depending on what it's rated for.Plus you are only filtering 350 gallons a hr compared to 500 or600 what ever the xp3 is rated.

Why do you suggest putting the UV after the bio media?

The way I figured, the UV will kill everything that does get filtered out by the first 2 basket filter, then go through the biomedia where the bacteria will eat it and break it down. Then some of the beneficial bacteria from the bio media will enter the tank through the filter and lach on to the surfaces of the tank.

If I were to put the UV after the whole filter system, (after the bio media) then any of the beneficial bacteria coming off the bio media would be killed before it entered the tank, thus making the tank's gravel, rock, wood ect suffer.

As far as the 2 filters being different GPH speeds. They are 250 and 300, and being a closed system, there is no way (once you bleed the system and seal it) that the filters would run dry. If I had 2 intakes and 2 outputs I would run them, but unfortunately I have one.

You may not run them dry if you have such awesome seals and suction, but if you get a blockage in the line you could damage a pump, or shorten it's lifetime, or if the block were in the second then the top of the first cannister may bust open, esp as the seal degrades over time. It may work on setup day, but what about in 6-12 months?
Maybe just try and get in the parts to put in that 2nd intake + output and have peace of mind?

the two pumps have worked perfectly in that configuration for 2 years, the only thing I changed was adding in the UV sterilizer between them.

I think if I had the hardware I would try and get it down pat, and if it's working for you then it's working for you and there's no need to change. If the steriliser isn't impeding the flow very much and is rated for the flow rate then it could be likened to having a slightly longer hose between them. I say run it and keep us updated on how it goes :)

I would think it might nuke the good bacteria before it even gets on your second filter. But is just my guess.I have a coralife turbo twist.

The UV I have has a flow-rate of 700gph, which is twice as much as the filters will do. It'll probably be fine, but I think I'm gonna go get a new bulb for it, it's kind of old.

Back
Top Bottom