Is this a good stock for a 29 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omerome

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have the following inhabitants in a 29 gallon tank:

1 - Pearl Gourami
2 - German Blue Rams (M and F)
4 - Otos
4 - Peppered Cory Catfish
5 - Mickey Mouse Platies
4 - Nerite Snails
9 - Harlequin Rasboras

The tank is pretty planted and I am using DIY CO2 with T5-HO lighting if this helps.

My question is, can I up the school on the Rasboras or maybe add something else?

I would say you are stocked, maybe a couple more cory cats, but that's about it. The Platties have high bioloads for a small fish.

I'd say you're done. Make sure there's enough algae for the Otos and snails.

David

Bio-load level you're not bad off, but water chemistry and temperature needs the fish on your list are all over the place... You're mixing platies (prefer alkaline, harder water) with Rams (prefer acidic, soft water). Additionally, Rasboras are a cooler water fish (72-77F ideal range), while the Rams are heat lovers (80F minimum) and tend to get sick a lot when kept cold.

I'd take a closer look at the parameter needs of the fish, pick out your favorite, then build the rest of the tank around their needs. You can either rehome or set up a new tank for the others. Otherwise you're stuck in a precarious balancing act where no one's happy... It's like in the Simpsons when Homer was trying to keep Pinchy (a lobster) and his freshwater fish both alive (added salt until both were floating sideways instead of one being upside down and other being happy ;) ).

Back
Top Bottom