Is this a Mollie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
once the tank is setup, water relay doesn't need to be tested, mine are planted ben set up for like 2 years and i never test water

To break it down, your fish poop just like every other living thing. This poop gets turned into "AMMONIA". Ammonia is TOXIC and DEADLY to fish. Your bacteria living in your filter "recycle" the ammonia and turn it into NITRITE. NITRITE is also TOXIC and DEADLY. From there the bacteria continues and turns it into NITRATE. Nitrate is safe for fish as low levels (best kept under 20ppm). Water changes are the best thing you can do to manage these levels.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Since you didn't know about a test kit I'm going to assume you are new to the hobby. Don't worry we have all been there at one point.

Cycling is very important and is what my explanation above it is talking about. It's known as The Nitrogen Cycle.

Here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

Read these. They should help fill you in.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. We want to keep your fish as healthy and happy as possible! :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I usually only do feeder gold fish lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks I'm just hoping to keep them alive! Lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425086045.834412.jpg

This is my 10 gallon with a blue Betta, 5 ADF, and some ghost shrimp. Your water will look like that once the cycling is finished :) crystal clear ?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What kind of love plants would be good to get for them

Live plants are not necessary but your fish will thank you for them. I suggest easy ones like Anubias ( there's 2 in my pic), amazon swords, java fern.

Anubias- can be planted or tied down to rocks or driftwood. If you plant, don't plant the rhizome. The rhizome is in the middle and all then stems and roots sprout off of it. You can plant the roots but keep the rhizome above ground.

Amazon sword- needs root tabs to be placed underneath deep into substrate. Add a new tab every month or so.

Java fern- tie it to driftwood or a rock and watch it grow.

All of those suggested are very easy plants to grow with minimal work included. Roots tabs can get expensive. I suggest looking up "Mebbid's DIY root tabs." Much cheaper method made by a fellow user on here.

Your plants at first will look like the are dying. This is their transition phase of just adjusting to the tank, don't worry they will come back bigger and better.

If you want, this is optional, you can dose API LeafZone for Macros and Flourish Excel for Micros. Basically food for your plants. With these easy plants they are not really needed though.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea I did and I just got home and all of the mollies are dead! :((((

Test your water. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. I'm sorry about your mollies but I'm determined to help you so this doesn't happen again. Post test results when you are finished.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've lost quite a few fish and 80% were before I knew about cycling. The other 20% was an ick outbreak blah.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Is this fish a Mollie? I was told at the store they were Mickey Mouse platies. But I'm not sure. These are the fish I bought.View attachment 265689View attachment 265690View attachment 265691

Assuming there are 3 fish total, one is a balloon bellied marble molly (or something along those lines) one is a red wag platy and the last one is a twin bar platy (or something along those lines, there are numbers of types of platys) that has a bit of a balloon belly as well. None are Mickey Mouse platys, which have a collection of three spots on the tail that actually look like a mickey mouse head. It's too bad a lot of stores can't give out good basic info on the fish they sell, it makes anything else they have to say kind of suspect.

Back
Top Bottom