Is this a Siamese algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe_kroger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey! I went shopping for fish today and bought a Siamese Algae eater but am wondering if it is a true one or a variation. Thanks !IMG_1480298287.439193.jpg

That looks like a Chinese algae eater. Was it labeled Siamese? I would return it regardless.
What's with the cichlid in the background? Sleeping?

Yeah he is chilling out, it's late where I live and he was taking his nap! He is a fire mouth and is really cool! Are Chinese a bad fish to keep? I need something for the algae in my tank and he is cute.

CAE (Chinese algae eaters) might be cute and useful when young, but usually become large, lazy, and aggressive as they mature.
I would use a nerite snail for algae control over most types of fish.

At younger they eat algae, when they get older and bigger they don't really eat algae anymore and as fresh said they get really aggressive

Really? I didnt know they got aggressive. And I thought they always ate algae... They did such a good job of it when I had them.
I guess they didn't live that long. They really didn't. Eaten by Goldfish...

Oh okay! I have a 75 g tank so I have plenty of space. I might keep them because they're my favorite fish

Only 6-7 months? I've had mine for a year+ now.

My CAE don't bother anyone, but will try to suck on slime coat off larger fishes lile angels.

I watched a video about that saying they are protein starved and need shrimp pellets and will stop sucking on the side of fish. Just a suggestion

Oh, my Goldfish ate them. I know Goldfish don't belong, but I have no where else to out them.

Update:
I traded them in and replaced them with a spotted Raphael catfish! He is shy but is cool at night time to watch.

Back
Top Bottom