Is this accurate? ( Its about Largemouth Bass )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In northern lakes the anticipated length of a female largemouth bass is as follows:

At the end of the:

First Year 4"
Second Year 7 1/2"
Third Year 9"
Fourth Year 11"
Fifth Year 13"
Sixth Year 15"
Seventh Year 17"
Eighth Year 19"
Ninth Year 21"
Tenth Year 23"
Eleventh Year 25"

Sounds right to me, well I know every year I go fishing at my cousin's lake and we tag the bass, that chart you got there is almost the same, if I can get my cousin to give me the records of the fish i'll let you know what they are.

Wow i love how quick you answer. Would they grow about the same in an aquarium? Do you know about a male's growth rate? Do you know how long i could keep one ( if i get it when it is only an inch ) in a 40g?

Well you would expect them to grow larger and quicker in a lake, but my cousins lake is very overstocked so it's basically the same as an aquarium. I think you could prob. keep a bass, starting at that length, for about, 3-5 years. Once the bass starts hitting 8-10in. They need a lot of swimming room.

I'm sure you could, just make sure you keep up on those water changes once they get bigger, also make sure they get a lot of meaty foods.

Also make sure if you want to keep them longer you should get atleast a 180+ gallon tank for 2-3 of them.

Lol ok, um well what do you want to know about blue gills? I wouldn't suggest keeping them with bass if you are saying that. At my cousins lake I saw an 7in bass come up to shallow water and eat an 9in blue gill I was trying to catch.

Lol

Yeah i know bass are beast :)

Do you know anything about their growth rate? Or how long i could keep 'em in a 40g? And how many ( bc BG luv to school )?

I wouldn't suggest blue gill, just stick with bass.

Even though bass also school, they don't have to. BGs do a lot better in schools, like tetras, if they are alone they will get stressed and die.

I would stay away from them, when I see them school naturally they are in schools from 10-150+ (i'm not kidding either.)

There is no way to mimic that, well in a 40 gallon. They can easily get up to 10in+ and you won't be able to do the mimic in the 40G.

Just sick with the 2 bass and I think you'll be set.

crappie and sunfish are the exact same way as bluegill, expect sunfish I don't think get as big as BGs but they get fatter. Then for crappie, they are really slander, yet they can get a lot longer then BGs.

Like I said, stick with the bass :D

Alright. Bass are still what i want. But i asked about shell crackers before. Do you know any thing about them? I never saw the schooling and the would hide under rocks and attack any minnows that go near 'em and they're lightning fast and very very aggresive and when they bite they dont let go. Believe me whenever i would want to catch them i would just dangle my artificial worm in the water and tha would bite the tail ( no hook ) and i could pull them right out of the water. And their mouths are more like crappie than bluegill ( big but not as big as basses mouths ).

Well what we do is we get a suregn (I think that's how you spell it.) The thing you get shots with. And what we do is we load the shot with a color of dye, every year we pick a diff color. Then we just stick the needle into the tail (doesn't hurt them) then just put a tiny bit of color in the tail. If we catch him again, we mark him again and see how much he has grown in a year, or however long it takes for us to get that fish again.

I wouldn't keep a bass in a 40g. You wouldn't be able to keep it in there for long and when it outgrows the tank, if you can't get anything larger, you can't release it back into a lake (its illegal in most places). I would just stick with fish that could stay in a 40g their whole lives. :)

Back
Top Bottom