Is this balloon molly a boy or girl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Violet92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am lost on if this balloon molly is a boy or girl.. Someone help.

Attachments

• image-1434936073.jpg
    image-1434936073.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 175
  • image-3780501669.jpg
    image-3780501669.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image-440440292.jpg
    image-440440292.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 126
heres a pic from a photobucket page.

img_1772200_0_10b404ae5fa0b7c25ef6ac1856e76cb5.jpg

Last edited:
Haha..if she has been around any boys she is most likely "hit" and prego, but mollies tend to eat up all their young they can find, so if you don't want babies just let them get eaten. Free live food. =)

Ashes2ashes said:
Haha..if she has been around any boys she is most likely "hit" and prego, but mollies tend to eat up all their young they can find, so if you don't want babies just let them get eaten. Free live food. =)

I had just bought her from petsmart :( so i have no clue on this fish.. Its a balloon molly n i already have one other one that confirmed pregnant but its wierd cuz they both look huge!

Moved to FW and Brackish- General Discussion.

The reason this one looks so much bigger than the drawing that Jeta shared is because balloon mollies are selectively bred to exaggerate the short bodied, large bellied deformity.

severum mama said:
Moved to FW and Brackish- General Discussion.

The reason this one looks so much bigger than the drawing that Jeta shared is because balloon mollies are selectively bred to exaggerate the short bodied, large bellied deformity.

Ok so how do i know if she is pregnant?

Assume any molly that you buy is pre-hit since the chain stores keep males and females together... they can store sperm for up to several months so you don't have to have a male present when you bring them home to get plenty of drops.

severum mama said:
Assume any molly that you buy is pre-hit since the chain stores keep males and females together... they can store sperm for up to several months so you don't have to have a male present when you bring them home to get plenty of drops.

What do you mean?

severum mama said:
Assume she's prego.

Ok and how long should i expect her to pop? Like have her fry? Sorry so many questions im new to the balloon molly

It's pretty variable. 24-48 days generally. Since you don't know when she got pregnant it's going to be hard to guess when she'll have them.

Sisserydoo said:
It's pretty variable. 24-48 days generally. Since you don't know when she got pregnant it's going to be hard to guess when she'll have them.

Sisserydoo said:
I don't really know, I've only kept regular mollies, not balloon. She is pretty fat though, so I'd say yes!

Ok thank you for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom