Is this BGA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Oddly, I kind of like the look of it, but after reading, I think it might be BGA, when I thought it was just green beard algae. I have read how awful that is for a tank and wanted to verify before cleaning it up.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2010-05-27 16.05.07.jpg
    2010-05-27 16.05.07.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 64
How often and long do you run your lights? It looks like gba but I'm not 100% sure. Try doing a blackout and see what it does and welcome to AA!

Thanks for the welcome! I am overlighting by a ton, but for due cause. There is about 20 gallons of water in that section, but for lighting I run 4x 48" T5 HO lights (216 watts). It is actually a dart frog tank on the other side with the terrastrial and walls fully planted, so I need the high lighting to keep my bromeliads colored.

That negates my ability to do the blackout method, but I will try some of the other methods I have read about if you are thinking it is GBA.

That looks like the stuff in my tank - I've been having an algae problem. Today we forgot to turn the tank lights on, so the tank was without light for approximately 36 hours. The water cleared tremendously. The algae itself is clinging to the glass, but I'm sure it's on the decor, too. I may have to disinfect the tank. Does algae infestation completely bork your water cycle? Do you have to get rid of the filter?

Normally with proper nutrient and light management you won't need to reset your tank. Although you will be in for some ammonia spikes, so while you are doing your blackout, change your water every other day.

Back
Top Bottom