is this even coral? will this raise my pH? [pic]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I can see in the photo, it looks like a plastic simulation. I'm no coral expert but nature is not as symetrical as what you're holding. Maybe some of our coral experts will pop in.

yup, it is barnicles and they will prolly increase the pH because most rocks/corals do, so I'd assume those would as well.

Im not FW person but I would say it would not be as effective as CC or argonite sand. The reason is less surface area for the water to be in contact with. You get the buffering from the calcium carboniate the corals lay down as they build their skeliton. As the water disolves this calcium carbonite it increases the PH of the water. The greater surface area you have in contact with the water the greater the PH buffering ability.

yeah, this is true.. i just wanted to see if there was a way of getting around paying $15 for a 10 lb bag that i only need a handful of

No, it won't buffer your water much, as stated above. That bag you get will last your quite some time, but you will need to replace the CC from time to time - I do so about every 3-4 months for what I keep in my filter, so you will use it.

Back
Top Bottom