Is this fish bloated or pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
The fish is a neon dwarf rainbow or praecox rainbow and it's been getting fatter eventhough I have been feeding less. The others used to be fat but I stopped feeding as much and now they are "normal" so I'm wondering if its pregnant? I don't know its gender so I'm really wondering.
Thanks!
Ps. The last pic is all of them together

The males will have more of a red color to their fins and females are more yellow. It's a little hard to tell in the picture but i think it looks like a male. Is it still swimming around and acting normal? It doesn't look too fat to me, just like it maybe has a lower metabolism or a larger appetite than the others ;) I wouldn't worry unless it is acting strangely or your water parameters are off.
Try feeding a smashed, cooked, deshelled pea alternating every other day with flake to see if that helps :) if you have access to any live or frozen daphnia or brine shrimp that would be good for their digestive systems as well.

Edit: another thing I just thought of: what is your ratio of males to females? (Look at the yellow/red in fins as I mentioned above). Not sure if it could affect the fish's weight, but if it is getting bullied by other males due to the ratio being wrong, that could cause him to hide a lot. You generally want twice as many females as males.

I think all of them are actually males :p He(?) always swims with the others still, even my 2 reds and my bosemanni. Still swims quite a bit. Water parameters Are perfect ?

Alright then I wouldn't be too worried about it :) if your tank size allows, they might enjoy having a few more friends to make a school of 6!:)

Back
Top Bottom