Is this going to end up cracking my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidsquiggle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the process of trying to set up a 40b, but it's been in storage for a few years and I need to test it for leaks. I live in an apartment, though, so I thought the best place to minimize potential disasters was in the bathtub. I measured, but no, of course it doesn't fit quite right.

So if it's only supported along the two longest edges, leaving the short edges about a quarter to half an inch off the tub floor, am I right in thinking it's a bad idea to fill it up?

I only need to test it 24 hours, but I know how important even footing is. It would be so stupid to crack it while testing for cracks. :-?

What do you guys think?

Aah, as I said, I live in an apartment. I do have a porch, but no outdoor water source. I could always drag dozens of buckets out there, but I was trying to avoid that.

Assuming you live in a house ~ Why not test it on your porch or backyard?

One should never ***.u.me.... I had to clean my 30b, in my apt, in the city, with no backyard, and I would never fill it in that situation.. anyway you could use a friends garage? Broken glass in the tub is a major pita..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just fill it 1/3 of the way on your porch, if it leaks at all I'll bet it's from the lower portion...

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to just suck it up and drag it over to my parent's house. It was so much trouble getting it in here, I sure wish I had thought about testing it before I moved it the first time.

Oh well, I suppose like you said, that's better than broken glass in the tub!

This was in reply to Brookster123, wow I haven't used this forum in a while...

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to just suck it up and drag it over to my parent's house. It was so much trouble getting it in here, I sure wish I had thought about testing it before I moved it the first time.

Oh well, I suppose like you said, that's better than broken glass in the tub!

Always better safe than sorry.. especially if your land lord will drown you in your own tank if you flood his building hehe.. awwwww. ..heheh..awwwwwww I need a house to flood..

xD, can't believe you remember that. x)

I remember everything... well except my paypal password... and my cats name.. but the important stuff anyways..

Just fill it 1/3 of the way on your porch, if it leaks at all I'll bet it's from the lower portion...

I might have to go that way. There are so many steps around my apartment it makes me dizzy just to think of dragging it back down and then up all over again.

Thanks!

I would just put it up on its stand, fill it, place paper around the edges and underneath, and then wait. If its going to be a big leak you will see it immediately, if its a small leak you will see wet paper. All in all a couple ounces isn't really much water to get on a floor.

Back
Top Bottom