Is this healthy for my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QueenKiara

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 gallon jugs that are full of tap water that I've left sit for about a week now. I didn't add any water conditioner. Would this be safe to add to my aquarium, without water conditioner?

It would depend on your water supply. Do they add chlorine or chloramine or both? Chlorine will "gas out" where as chloramine will not.

If you're unsure, always best to go the extra step and add a few drops of water conditioner.

I keep gallon jugs set aside and a 55g food safe barrel for changes on my more delicate tanks.

Okay, thank you. :) That's what I needed to know. I'm not sure whether we have chloramines in our tap water, so I'll just add some water conditioner. Thank again!

Most tap water has some kind of chemicals added to it so it doesn't get nasty in transit from the water plant to your house. Even well water has unwanted contaminants, which is why I just stopped worrying about it and bought an RO/DI unit. Saves me a lot of worry and trouble.

Okay, thank you. :) That's what I needed to know. I'm not sure whether we have chloramines in our tap water, so I'll just add some water conditioner. Thank again!

Test your tap water for ammonia the same way you would test for ammonia in your tank.

David

What is an RO/DI unit?

An RO/DI unit stands for reverse osmosis deionization unit. You can hook it up to a sink, garden hose, or some other water port and it will purify your water so you can use it in your aquarium.

They're a little pricey ($100-200 depending on the quality and number of chambers), but well worth it. I got mine from Bulk Reef Supply.

I'll have to look into it if this becomes a hassle. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom