Is This Normal??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33miles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fishless cycle was complete. Ammonia and NitrItes were 0 and NitrAtes were between 5 and 0. 24 hours before I was going to buy fish, I replaced the carbon filter in my HOB filter and dosed some ammonia one more time. 12 hours later, I checked the ammonia level to be sure and it was STILL at 5 ppm. Checked again 12 hours later (24 hrs from dosing) and the ammonia level was about 1 ppm. Before I replaced the carbon filter, the ammonia level would drop from 5 to 0 in less than 12 hrs and now it's taken about 36 hrs. Granted, that's much faster than when I started the fishless cycle where it sat at 5ppm for weeks and weeks.

So my question is......is it normal to loose that much beneficial bacteria when you replace the carbon filter?? I'd hate for the ammonia level to stay that high for so long when there's fish in the tank.

Yes that is normal. I think you sent your tank into a mini-cycle. Don't replace the filter unless you absolutely need to (ie to get rid of medication, the filter is falling apart). Rinse it in used tank water instead. I hardly ever have to change my filter in my hob.

Yes that is normal. I think you sent your tank into a mini-cycle. Don't replace the filter unless you absolutely need to (ie to get rid of medication, the filter is falling apart). Rinse it in used tank water instead. I hardly ever have to change my filter in my hob.

Thanks Mr./Mrs. Produce......i'll leave the filter alone from now on.

Also, considering ditching the AC (activated carbon), that is if your filter cartridge has a separate AC media cartridge. The only reason to use AC is to remove medications or remove any unwanted smells from the tank (fishy water smell). I've heard that if you leave AC in too long it will start leaching the stuff it filtered out, back into the water column. I've ditched the AC media in both my tanks for well over a year with no side effects.

I think he is talking about something like this. They are sold as pot scrubbers.
pot-scrubber.jpg

pot-scrubber.jpg

Reactions: CTD
Yes that is exactly the ones, LOL same color too. TY Verucaproduce

Should I remove the spy camera from your house? LOL

Back
Top Bottom