Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ammonia= 0
Nitrite= 0

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110503_182624.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_182624.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 106
fishfanatic said:
Ammonia= 0
Nitrite= 0

Well, the tank is cycled (good news). Even though you have some pretty major incompatibility problems (mostly school number wise), I don't think you're overstocked. I'd try to do a major pwc (50% minimum) and retest nitrAtes 30 minutes after (so the water can circulate). If the numbers don't budge, I'd bet a nickel the API kit is expired. They actually have a fairly short shelf life.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss. I'll research a bit more.

I just bought the nitrate kit 2 weeks ago. ( but who knows how long it was on the shelf at the store)

fishfanatic said:
I just bought the nitrate kit 2 weeks ago. ( but who knows how long it was on the shelf at the store)

Is it API? It should have a lot number and expiration date.

The nitrate is API
The ammonia and nitrite is aquarium pharmaceuticals Inc.

I am actually not sure what the ammonia and nitrites test is. It comes in this box

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110503_184621.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_184621.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 93
After a bit of research, it seems none of the aquarium fertilizers contain nitrAte (at least not that I've seen). That's one theory out the window.

If you do a 50% pwc and the nitrAte doesn't drop by around half...we're gonna need to call in some NASA scientists because, to me, that would make absolutely 0 sense.

Unless you have the worlds most overstocked tank, with the worlds most powerful biofilter constantly churning out nitrAtes, I don't see how a large pwc wouldn't reduce the levels as long as there's not lots of nitrAtes in the new water.

I don't remember when I got them probably 2 years ago. (I had Jo clue they went bad). Do you think both of those kits are bad and my ammonia and nitrites are really high?

I don't remember when I got them probably 2 years ago. (I had Jo clue they went bad). Do you think both of those kits are bad and my ammonia and nitrites are really high?

That's what I'm worried about now. Those are the old school API kits, most likely expired. I'd do a really big pwc (maybe 75%) and measure the no3. When you can, go out and buy an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. They're like $30, but they're pretty much mandatory for this hobby.

Like you said, the medication you used could have devastated the biofilter. On the Seachem site, it claims it has "minimul impact" on the bacteria, but they wouldn't sell much if they told you it destroyed it. Any other changes recently? Switched out filter media or anything?

About a month ago is when I got this filter. I ran the new filter with the old filter for about 2 weeks. On Saturday I took out my UGF (I thought it might be the problem)

fishfanatic said:
About a month ago is when I got this filter. I ran the new filter with the old filter for about 2 weeks. On Saturday I took out my UGF (I thought it might be the problem)

You did the right thing when you replaced the filter media. I suppose the combination of the meds and removing the UGF could be responsible. I'd do the big pwc, go get a new kit tomorrow and make sure you're keeping the ammo under .25 through pwc's until the tank stabilizes again.

You've gonna have to treat it like a fish in cycle...here's a good link to check out.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Good luck! Let me know what happens tomorrow.

Good news! I got a new master test kit and the test says that my nitrates are about 20 ppm (I think my other test kit was bad)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110503_212844.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_212844.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 70
fishfanatic said:
Good news! I got a new master test kit and the test says that my nitrates are about 20 ppm (I think my other test kit was bad)

Good! I'm very happy your tank wasn't in a mini cycle and all the fish are doing well. I knew this situation didn't make sense. Glad we figured it out! I'd still look to re-home some of your fish so you can up the levels of your schools to make them happy. I'm glad it worked out and good for you that you moved so quickly to make sure everything was taken care of...good job!

I <3 fish and I hate to kill them! I promise I will work on getting some nice schools to make the fish happy (it kills me to have to decide which kinds to keep) I know for sure that I can't part with my killifish and GBR :D

fishfanatic said:
I <3 fish and I hate to kill them! I promise I will work on getting some nice schools to make the fish happy (it kills me to have to decide which kinds to keep) I know for sure that I can't part with my killifish and GBR :D

Sounds good. I also love my GBR, but he's going downhill after having him for 10 days. I'm sure that judging by the way you handled this situation you'll make them a very happy home.

That's what I'm worried about now. Those are the old school API kits, most likely expired. I'd do a really big pwc (maybe 75%) and measure the no3. When you can, go out and buy an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. They're like $30, but they're pretty much mandatory for this hobby.

I know that it's not kosher to advocate or trash specific stores but, with the economy still being in the toilet, we all need to save when and where we can, without cutting back on quality care for our fish.
So when it comes to getting the API Master Test kit, try Amazon.com and bigals.com. They both sell Master Kits for less, anywhere from $15.99 to $19.99 for the Master Kit.
That $10.00 to $15.00 adds up over time. Just saving the $10.00, is enough to pay for top quality food instead of paying more for the kit and then having to buy food that is a bit cheaper.
This isn't the cheapest hobby and not all of us have "disposable" income. We need to help each other when and where we can, if we find a good deal some where, we should be able to share it with each other.
After all, aren't we here to help one another?

I absolutely agree, with the exception that in many of these cases time is of the utmost importance. If someone was generally asking about a good test kit, I would always (and have always) recommend shopping around online and finding a good deal. However, when there is a mysterious situation and there is the possibility that fish are currently suffering from acute ammo / no2 poisoning, I'd happily spend an extra $20 to get to the bottom of the situation as quickly as possible and make sure I'm in the best situation to deal with it. I view it the same way as if one of my dogs seems to be in distress, I don't wait until the regular Vet opens, I climb into the car and head towards the emergency vet clinic knowing it'll cost me hundreds of more dollars than waiting until my normal vet office is open.

I completely agree with your statement, but there are always exceptions to the rules.

Back
Top Bottom