Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just got my tank running. I had the heater dial set to 79 but my water temp is between 82 and 84?? Is the dial on the heater accurate or should I dial it down and ignore the markings on the heater and just watch the temp? btw I'm using the sticker thermometer on the outside of the tank.

Is it possible the heater is defective?

Also, how high should the water be? I have it right up touching the output drain on my penguin 200 filter, is this too high? It reduces noise thats why I have it so high. It's still below the black top of the tank.

Thanks

Your water level is fine. Many keep it high for that reason. As far as the heater, it could be deffective but more than likely you thermometer is the culprit. The stick on kind are some of the least reliable available. I would replace this first. If a glass one gives you the same readings then I would look into the heater. 82-84 degrees is not that high.

I agree, the stick on thermometers are not very accurate. A digital is the best way to go. They are about $6. Also, how large is the tank and how many watts is the heater? I keep my water level up to the black on the tank. I don't like to see a water line. So keeping it that high is perfectly fine.

Also, how high should the water be? I have it right up touching the output drain on my penguin 200 filter, is this too high? It reduces noise thats why I have it so high. It's still below the black top of the tank.

So long as your tank has enough oxygen (which can be increased by lowering the water to increase aggitation, or using an air stone) then your water level is fine. I keep mine in about the same place. Just remember that if you ever need to raise the temp for whatever reason, you'll need to drop the water down because the higher the temperature, the lower the oxygen saturation of the water. This allows it to be replaced faster as the fish take in the oxygen (b/c there is less).

I'll get a new thermometer. I had those sticky things before and they are junk, they show the room temperature rather then the water temperature. Get a cheap suction cup one for a couple dollars, they are more acurate.

And for the best results check all thermometers they have hanging in the store and take the one with the most average level :wink: .

82-84 is a bit high in my opinion. its not exactly natural water temps for most tropical fish, in addition to the lowered oxygen capacity of warmer water.

Heaters notoriously have discrepancy's in their thermostats (the dial) and a good thermometer reading.

As long as it holds the temp steady, the deviation between the dial and the real temp isn't a big deal, just adjust for it by turning the heater down a little, then wait for the temp to stabilze so you can find the 'sweet spot'.

Coralife makes a sweet digital therm with a long probe cord. every one of my tanks has this thermometer, even though I had to pay $10 each at the LFS.

I have digital thermometers too and none of my heaters temp dials actually match the tank temps. So I disregard the heaters temp dials and rely on the digital thermometers. Most of my tropical tanks are 77-78 F.

agree with malkore and zagz,
get a good therm, and use that instead of the heaters thermostat, rarely have I seen one that was set right.

Matt.

i'm with zagz! i have 3 heaters in my tank, and none of them are accurate. i have a cheapo digital thermometer, and i do what malkore says--bump up the dial or turn it down, and i just don't pay attention to what the dial says :)

Back
Top Bottom