Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to Ace Hardware and picked up the Ace Brand Janitorial Strength Ammonia that was suggested on this forum. I double checked the label to make sure no other chemicals were in the bottle and nothing was listed. I also shook the bottle to make sure no bubbles formed, and they didn't. (Apart from just a very few amount of air bubbles that are expected from shaking a liquid, but there were definitely no foamy soap bubbles and nothing collected at the top of the bottle like soap usually would. The air bubbles even dispersed basically right away.) And to be extra sure, I asked the guy who worked there to make sure it was pure ammonia and he looked it over and said that it was since if there were any other chemicals in the bottle, they would be required to list them.

Well I did my first dose of about 5 ml's of ammonia last night. This morning I checked and there are some air bubbles that have collected around the top water line of the tank. Now, honestly I'm not sure if these were there before or not since I didn't think to look for that sort of thing before adding the ammonia. They definitely do NOT look like soap bubbles. They are not foamy at all. It actually looks more like a betta's bubble nest (not quite as thick but this is the closest thing I can think of) even though there are obviously no fish in the tank yet.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this other than the ammonia is possibly my filter. I have an Aquaclear 70 and the outflow is a lot more powerful than the filter on my other tank. It creates a lot more bubbles. And like I said, I did not look to see if there were any bubbles before adding the ammonia so there very well could have been. I wouldn't have thought twice about it before now.

I don't know if I'm being over paranoid about this tank or what. This is the 3rd thing that has come up that I've gotten worried about although everything has worked out so far. I obviously don't want to have to strip down the tank and start over so I want to be absolutely sure that it is necessary before I do. I will do it if I have to because the fish are the main concern of course. Please advise.

The ammonia that you purchased is correct. I am using the exact same thing right now to cycle my 10 gal tank.

Thanks everyone. Yeah I just asked my husband and he said he saw the bubbles there before I ever added the ammonia. Must be from the filter.

Back
Top Bottom