Is this normal behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alral1988

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got 3 clown loaches in my tank and one of them has been doing something a little funny. I often catch him sitting right at the top of the water like this. Is this something they do normally? I always thought they were mostly bottom to mid dwellers. Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Attachments

• image-1344136326.jpg
    image-1344136326.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 81
Can you check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH readings in the tank? Fish hanging at the surface like that can indicate poor water conditions. Also what size tank, tank mates and PWC schedule?

Water parameters are perfect. 0 nitrates nitrites and ammonia. Currently it's a 55, upgrading to 75 soon. Tank mates include dwarf gourami, Bol rams, and an African leaf fish. All fish are 2 in or smaller and have shown 0 aggression. I've only had these guys about two weeks so I haven't done a water change with them in it yet.

Water parameters are perfect. 0 nitrates nitrites and ammonia. Currently it's a 55, upgrading to 75 soon. Tank mates include dwarf gourami, Bol rams, and an African leaf fish. All fish are 2 in or smaller and have shown 0 aggression. I've only had these guys about two weeks so I haven't done a water change with them in it yet.

Are you using test strips or a liquid kit? In a fully cycled tank you should be seeing some nitrate. Also two weeks without a water change is rather long IMO; fish use up buffers and minerals in the water that need to be replaced.

Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish or is the tank 2 weeks old with fish in it? There's a link below in my signature called: guide to starting a fW aquarium. THe first thing it covers is cycling; you may want to give it a read :)

I used the liquid kit. To my understanding under a certain point it always shows 0. The reason I only do water changes every two weeks is because I have a very nice filtration system on the tank. I've been doing this for several years and I am very familiar with tank cycling

Back
Top Bottom