Is this ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ribboneel33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently went to my local LFS and got caribsea instant aquarium sunset gold sand (wanted PFS but parents forced me to get live sand 'cuz it's "better.") In the packet there was a chemical to speed up clearing of the water. The only problem are my java loaches. I only used one 10 gallon bag for my 20 so how long until they are safe from the chemicals?

I've never used the sand you're referring to, but nothing contained in that bag of sand should be toxic to any kind of aquatic livestock. The packet to clear the water is most likely a flocculent agent to help lump particles together so the filter could remove it. Follow the instructions on the packet and everything should go well for your charges.

David

I've never used the sand you're referring to, but nothing contained in that bag of sand should be toxic to any kind of aquatic livestock. The packet to clear the water is most likely a flocculent agent to help lump particles together so the filter could remove it. Follow the instructions on the packet and everything should go well for your charges.

David

I agree fully, though I do suggest giving the sand particles time to settle and "stick" together, considering you have the sand to do it with- I used live sand at the start up of mine, with proper water changes and maintenance it does actually help speed up the process, but not by much, maybe a couple days to a week.

Back
Top Bottom