is this overkill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to add some tight schoolers to my 29.

It currently houses two angels and a bn pleco. First of all do you guys think I have room. Second of all what would be a small fish that school rather tightly. I haven't found a fish that really moves around a tank together yet.

I have an ac 30 and a c3 for filtration so no worries in that department

Also my angels become aggressive when they lay eggs which I have no intentions on keeping. Is this a big issue.

I would like to add some tight schoolers to my 29.

It currently houses two angels and a bn pleco. First of all do you guys think I have room. Second of all what would be a small fish that school rather tightly. I haven't found a fish that really moves around a tank together yet.

I have an ac 30 and a c3 for filtration so no worries in that department

Also my angels become aggressive when they lay eggs which I have no intentions on keeping. Is this a big issue.
I've only had one angel that I kept for a month and returned because he pestered my ram to no end. But I've read that they can get aggressive. If you know they do I would have a back up plan for the angels so nothing bad happens.

Cardinal tetras or harlequin rasboras are nice schoolers. Depending on your angels, they may get eaten though. Many folks have had good luck mixing them though.

Following, I'd like to see how this turns out.

I have recently been doing a lot of reading on just this, since I was looking at a similar setup for my 29. This is what I pieced together from multiple sources.

In a 29, most people recommend either 2 angels by themselves (or with a bottom dweller), or one angel and a decent sized school of something else.
2 angels can show aggression to each other as they get bigger if you don't have a mated pair, and a mated pair will show aggression towards other tank mates when they lay eggs, which you pointed out.
If you add a schooling fish, they should be big enough to not be bite-sized to a full grown angel (no neons or endlers), and kept in a large enough school to not harass the angel.
2 angels and a decent sized school of not-tiny fish in a 29 sounds pretty overstocked to me though, so I'm not sure that that's a good route either.
Personally, I ended up with one angel, a school of 8 xray tetra, and some cory fry. I know my setups pushing it on stocking as well, but I also have double filtration, and would rather do a bit more maintenance than see the angel get nipped because of having too small of a school, or having a smaller fish get eaten. My angel is currently about the size of a quarter, and not much bigger than a couple of the tetras. I'm hoping that by them all growing out together, the angel won't see the others as a food source.

So, no advice, just sharing what I've learned.

Do you guys think some pseudomugil pakai would work or would they get eaten in the future. They are a small one inch rainbow.

Cories are awesome. :)

You probably know this, but if you can, I'd try to not add them all at once. You'll have a heavy bioload, and it'll be safer to give some time in between adding fish to let the BB build up so you don't see a mini cycle.

Cories are awesome. :)

You probably know this, but if you can, I'd try to not add them all at once. You'll have a heavy bioload, and it'll be safer to give some time in between adding fish to let the BB build up so you don't see a mini cycle.

Okay thanks for the reminder.

Back
Top Bottom