Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Newbneedshelp
is this PH high?

I just checked my levels and my ph when i checked last was at 7.0 and now its up to 7.6, it was 7 a month ago. First should i be cheking my levels more? and secnd in my PH to high? if so how can i lower them?

also the fish seem to be ok in it so does this mean there is nothing to worry about? they area cting very normal from what i can tell.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How are your fish doing? If the fish are still doing fine then it is likely that the pH climbed at a slow but steady pace. Most fish can adapt to a certain degree. The fish in your tank that I think would be most sensitive to a too high pH would be the Oto and the neon tetras.

You can lower the pH by using pH down or you can get some dead wood from a fish store and put that in it. Just keep in mind it may tint your water slightly to a yellowish color.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would check the pH daily to see what's going on before changing things Newb.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will check it dailyand the fish seem fine. I have another issue, it might just be a mini cycle from adding my last fish but i am reading like .25 ammonia. i added the otto and 3 neons last week end and i think its still going through a mini cycle. Or im over stocked and need to do some more fequent water changes. You opinion?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anytime ammonia is present in a tank that has once completely cycled, it's a sign that you've added too many fish too quickly, or your overfeeding. Reduce your feeding to every other day and do daily 10% water changes until the nitrites read zero.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Do not add pH down or any chemical to alter your water parameters.
Quote:
10 Gallon:2 java ferns, 4 zebra danios, 3 green cory cats, 3 Neon Tetras, 1 Oto cat
That is a full tank! Definitely feed every other day--it won't hurt them, that's what all my fish get all the time and follow Brian's advice about the PWC.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank you all!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com