Is This Suitable Stocking For 25G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As I start to get near the finish line of cycling my tank, I think I have finalized what I want in the end game and I wanted your opinions. First off, I have a 25 gallon Fluval Accent tank that is heavily planted and has plenty of hiding places. Here are the fish:

*5 Neon Tetras
*4 Guppies (All Male)
*1 Clown Pleco
*2 Snails
2 Dwarf Gouramis (Male and Female)
2 German Gold (or Blue) Rams (One Male and Female)
2-4 Red Cherry Shrimp

* means I already have them in the tank

Does this sound suitable? I will have floating plants as well and the water is a little above 75 degrees. Driftwood is also in the tank.

My dwarf gourami couldn't care less about shrimp. The rams I used to keep loved to try and hunt them though.

I would keep plenty of cover and increase the shrimp to 10-20 so they can establish a breeding population quicker just in case one or two get eaten.

Other than that it sounds fine.

Some dwarf gouramis love shrimp.

Mine did.

Yeah I have also heard Rams will eat them too but I want to at least try. I will try to keep the fish well fed so it doesn't come to that, but worst case scenario, someone will have a good dinner that night.

In my 28g tank I have

7 guppies
6 neon tetras
5 Silvertip tetras
1 golden gourami
1 bn pleco

I am not over stocked according to aqadvisor.

If you plan on getting more guppies. Make sure you have 2 females to every 1 male. Your shrimps could become food if small enough to eat.

My dwarf gourami couldn't care less about shrimp. The rams I used to keep loved to try and hunt them though.

I would keep plenty of cover and increase the shrimp to 10-20 so they can establish a breeding population quicker just in case one or two get eaten.

Other than that it sounds fine.

Is having 10-20 shrimp too much competition for food with the two snails and pleco? I just don't want the pleco to die.

If you want shrimp try to get some full grown amano shrimp.

According to aqadvisor, my tank would be 117% with everything I mentioned, but I didn't think bottom dwelling fish mattered (pleco, snails, shrimp)?

I also chose the Red Cherry shrimp because of their size and color.

try plugging your stock into aqadvisor.com It's an aquarium stocking calculator. I love it, it's super easy to use and takes into account tank size and filtration type. Also will warn you if some of your fish are not recommended together.

Edit: whoops! Guess you were faster than I was at posting :)

According to aqadvisor, my tank would be 117% with everything I mentioned, but I didn't think bottom dwelling fish mattered (pleco, snails, shrimp)?

I also chose the Red Cherry shrimp because of their size and color.

Plecos definitely matter. Their bio load is immense. I wouldn't bother counting the shrimp though.

If the 117% is including the pleco then you should be just fine.

try plugging your stock into aqadvisor.com It's an aquarium stocking calculator. I love it, it's super easy to use and takes into account tank size and filtration type. Also will warn you if some of your fish are not recommended together.

I did use that and it came out at 117% although I didn't put in a filter since I don't know what kind of filter my tank uses as Fluval does not list it. My main issue was I didn't think snails, shrimp, or plecos put a bio-load on the tank as they are cleaners? Those are what put my tank over 100%

Even though the shrimp are considered "cleaners" they are still eating and pooing just like everything else. They only eat leftover food and a few different types of algae.

The pleco is definitely not a cleaner. In fact, he probably has more bio load than any 3 of the fish you want combined.

As I start to get near the finish line of cycling my tank, I think I have finalized what I want in the end game and I wanted your opinions. First off, I have a 25 gallon Fluval Accent tank that is heavily planted and has plenty of hiding places. Here are the fish:

*5 Neon Tetras

*4 Guppies (All Male)

*1 Clown Pleco

*2 Snails

2 Dwarf Gouramis (Male and Female)

2 German Gold (or Blue) Rams (One Male and Female)

2-4 Red Cherry Shrimp

* means I already have them in the tank

Does this sound suitable? I will have floating plants as well and the water is a little above 75 degrees. Driftwood is also in the tank.

-I would add a few more neon tetras
-I would suggest only getting one dwarf gourami because females are hard to find and makes can be aggressive towards each other.
-I would scratch the shrimp idea unless you do larger ones like amano, because they might get eaten and they're not cheap. Especially if you get 20, that's 60 bucks in fish food if they get eaten..

-I would add a few more neon tetras
-I would suggest only getting one dwarf gourami because females are hard to find and makes can be aggressive towards each other.
-I would scratch the shrimp idea unless you do larger ones like amano, because they might get eaten and they're not cheap. Especially if you get 20, that's 60 bucks in fish food if they get eaten..

I don't know where you are getting your RCS but you are overpaying. You should be able to find them for $1 a piece $2 at most.

100% agree with Khuligirl, plus...if the two rams start to mate they will most likely attack everything, so maybe just one of them as well.

Not at my LFS, they go from super dark and vibrant to more dull and even some spotting. They just get away with it becasue none of the other plaves carry them. I have told the owner its not a fair price and I will buy 15 when he lowers the price to $2 a pop.

You already have the clown pleco, right? They do produce lots of waste--probably more than all of the other fish combined AND that particular species eats almost no algae. They are cute (I have one) but other than munching on driftwood and algae wafers, mine doesn't do a darn thing for my algae. He also spends most of his time hiding. Next time, I would get a bristlenose over a clown any day.

Back
Top Bottom