Is this tank restorable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately I don't. I gave my old tank to my friend and forgot to take the media cartridges out and when I went back to get them he had already scrapped them

How long was it in his tank? Just keep your ammo at 4ppm and keep an eye on your ammo and nitrates. Once your see your ammo going down you should start seeing your nitrites comeing.

I'd say around 2 months I'm the one who set it up so I'm assuming everything checked out okay

Is his tanked cycled do you know? If it is and if you didn't let the filter dry out I would almost expect your ammo to have dropped by tomorrow morning.

Yes it was cycled and he's about five minutes up the street so could its have dried out in that time?

abrinn23 said:
Yes it was cycled and he's about five minutes up the street so could its have dried out in that time?

I doubt it but not totally sure. Did u put it in a container or something to bring it home in? You should be ok

Well actually I'm guessing it was still wet because it was leaking through the bag throughout my entire house lol

You should be fine. Test tomorrow for ammo and let me know what you get. Are you at 4ppm right now?

That's ok. Give it alil more time. Hopefully in a day or 2 you will see some numbers changing

Alright so now I have a problem. I've been away for the past 4 days and it appears I have a very small leak. Small enough to where its only gathered on the bottom trim of my tank so it isn't quite a big deal...yet. Anything I can do without completely removing all of the water?

You can't layer silicone on top of silicone so you are going to have to reseal it. Maybe put the water you have been working with into a clean Rubbermaid tub while you do that. Someone else may have a better idea idk.

I do know you do not need a small leak becoming a large one, so I would nip it in the bud.

Yeah turns out that I have to completely reseal my tank...it had just completely cycled too :(

abrinn23 said:
Yeah turns out that I have to completely reseal my tank...it had just completely cycled too :(

Congrats, but on the same note, man does that suck! +1 to putting some of your water into a rubbermaid container and hanging your hob on it. You'll have to dose 1ppm ammonia a day to keep your bb alive. But look on the bright side. If you reseal just put water back in and add your hob and you should still have a cycled tank

Even worse news appears to be a huge crack on both sides of the tank so it's on the side of the road now..

Back
Top Bottom