Is this the correct ammonia??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this the correct ammonia to use for a fish less cycle?

How much should I dose my 29 gallon tank with?

How often should I dose my tank?

Attachments

• image-377813287.jpg
    image-377813287.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 58
That's the same exact one I have when I started my tank (also a 29 gallon) last year. I haven't used it for any other purpose since! :lol:

I dosed about a teaspoon once a day and tested twice a day.

It took me about three weeks to get the tank cycled which was surprising to me but using the API Freshwater test kit showed I had nothing but nitrates so it must of been right.

That's the same exact one I have when I started my tank (also a 29 gallon) last year. I haven't used it for any other purpose since! :lol:

I dosed about a teaspoon once a day and tested twice a day.

It took me about three weeks to get the tank cycled which was surprising to me but using the API Freshwater test kit showed I had nothing but nitrates so it must of been right.

Thank you! I will follow suit.

Did you use anything to help jump start your cycle?

I cycles my tank in 2 weeks with using that same ammonia some media from my cichlid tank to seed it with and some water from the bucket I rinced my sponges and floss in from my 2 canister filters I also dosed it up to 4.0 ppm there's an ammonia dosing calculator on line somewhere ill see if I can find the one I used for you.

I cycles my tank in 2 weeks with using that same ammonia some media from my cichlid tank to seed it with and some water from the bucket I rinced my sponges and floss in from my 2 canister filters I also dosed it up to 4.0 ppm there's an ammonia dosing calculator on line somewhere ill see if I can find the one I used for you.

I put a cap full in my 29 gallon today. I'm gonna test the water tonight after work. To speed the cycle I'm gonna by 6 bio balls from my LFS and this weekend when I do a water change in my 30 gallon I'm gonna use a couple of gallons of water from that. I also am going to take a couple rocks and plants from the 30. Hopefully it'll only take 2-3 weeks to cycle. It doesn't really matter how long it takes, ill be patient. The quicker the better tho!!!:)

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

If you take just half a gallon of water from another tank and clean all your filter media in it from as many tanks as you have and add it to your cycling tank it should help that's what I did and I put in about 6-7 ceramic rings from one of my other filters and it took me only 16days from the day I filled my tank up with water till I was adding fish also it helps if you bump the temp up to 84-86 degrees F and crank an airstone up in there.

I used API stress zyme to speed up my initial cycling when I got my first tank, now I just seed the other tanks with the used filter media from my original tank! That really speeds up the cycle! Sometimes friends with healthy established aquariums can and will share used filter media/ bio media

I used API stress zyme to speed up my initial cycling when I got my first tank, now I just seed the other tanks with the used filter media from my original tank! That really speeds up the cycle! Sometimes friends with healthy established aquariums can and will share used filter media/ bio media

Yes but there's been a lot of reports of people using that "bottled bacteria" and shortly after there bb crashing. That was y I suggested the filter media water its like diy fresh bottled bacteria.

Yea I've heard of that happening too! I planned on using some of my filter media and established tank plants anyways!!!

I put a cap full of ammonia in on may 16th and haven't had to add any since!

Is this normal?

Ok I checked that and it told me to dose with 4.39 ml's. I put more then that when originally dosed it.

I've been using my other tanks water while doing three gallon changes at a time. I've done this twice. My other tanks are established but this is my first fish less cycle. Will this help with my cycle?

The water has hardly any bb in it you can take 1/2 gallon of your other tank water swish all your filter media in it and put it in your new tank right next to the intake of your filter, crank the heater up to 84-86, put a decoration or some gravel from your established tank in there and even some old filter media from your established tank to get your cycle jump started. You will know its started when your ammo starts to drop. When it gets to 0-0.25 dose your ammo in that calculator it reccomends 5ppm but the smaller the tank the less that you need to dose but in my 10g I dosed it to 4ppm that's what I reccomend. What size was your tank again?

Also another quick question. Should I be shaking my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate bottles before I put the drops in the tube to test the water?

I don't personally but I have heard it gives a more accurate reading now wether that's true or not I'm sure someone can answer that...someone like aqua_chem mabey...he seems to have all the technical sciency answers.

Back
Top Bottom